NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:29 pm 

I bought NASLite-SMB for a file server for my home network. I've got 4 XP boxes and an XP wireless laptop. I want to set up NASLite on an old Compaq box Pentium333 that could serve files to Outlook. We all "share" the same file for Outlook so only one person can access it at a time. I wanted to set up this file server so any of us could access the file with out interruption.

I've got the file server up and running, I can see the file server drive. The server drive has been configured. How do i get files to & from the file server? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jiggs,

First, thank you for your support...

When the NASLite server is on-line, you should be able to browse it using the Windows Network Neighborhood. There should be a number of shares available on the NASLite server as follows:

Info - System Status
Disks - Read Only export of all drives
Disk-1,2,3 and/or 4 - Actual read-write drives.

To write to the NASLite server, you need to write to the Disk-X shares and not Disks.

Also, take a look at the associated downloadable manual.

Hope that helps.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:25 pm 

Tony,

I appreciate the response. I did read all the manuals. I'm still looking for file writing commands for windows.

I'm in an all Windows environment except for this file server. Your reference to writing "to the Disk-X shares and not Disks" sounds like a unix/linux command. Is there a way of writing to Disk-X shares. I typed this in the exporer window "nfs://192.168.1.1.62/export/Disk-1" and got errors. I can telnet to the server but I only get the Administrative Utility.

I'm looking for a command line example in Windows to write files to the file server. Please help. :)

Thanks,

Jiggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure you are running NASLite-SMB. The command you are using is for NFS. Windows does not support NFS. Then take a look at the NASLite-SMB manual. Using NASLite-SMB with Windows is explained in detail in the NASLite-SMB manual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:43 pm 

jiggshr,

Make sure you use the SMB version on a WinDoze network. Then Map the drives to a drive letter on your machines. That way WinDo$e will treat them as a local drive, and you can just drag and drop!

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:52 pm 

Tim,

Thanks for the help. I am using the SMB version now. I can telnet to the drive to run the Admin Utility Menu. I can see the drive from my other machines by typing 192.168.1.62. I do not see this drive on my network. Should I? This is what I see from another machine.

access user group date size name

drwxrwxrwx root root Sep 26 13:50 <DIR> Disk-1
dr-xr-xr-x root root Oct 01 15:19 <DIR> Info

I've tried mapping to this drive with these entries:
192.168.1.62:\export\Disk-1
192.168.1.62:/export/Disk-1
http://192.168.1.62/Disk-1

None of these work.

Please help. What is the right format for accessing this drive? I've seen nothing in the documents for writing to & from the NASLite-SMB dirve. Do I need to share the folders? What am I missing? This is a great program. I just want to be able to use it from my Windows machines.

Thanks,
Jiggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:34 pm 

Hello Jiggs,
maybe things are simpler than you think. If you open Windows Explorer and there go to "my network places", Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, you should see your workgroup listed. Through the admin menu of NASLite, configure your server to be part of your workgroup (i.e. give it the same name in the proper menu item). Now, if you open your workgroup, you should see the NASLite based Server, under the workgroup, with the name you configured in the admin menu of NASLite.
Now you can drag and drop to your heart's delight, to the disk you want (named Disk-1, Disk-2 etc)
Or, once you have identified the name of your NAS BOx (the default name is in the manual), you can "search for computers" using this name, then add it to your network places by just dragging the computer you found over there.
Then just use the tools menu in Win Explorer and map a drive letter of your choice to the folder you want.

Hope this helps.
Thorsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:35 pm 

try:

\\Naslite-smb\Disk-1
instead of ip-adres\disk-1

can you actually see the drives in the network neighbourhood?
if so:
is the workgroup the same for all the machines and the naslite-server?

[edit] d*mn, i type just a little bit to slow :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:02 pm 

I can not see the drive on the network. All the machines use the workgroup Family. I typed "Family" in the configuration menu and it saves it as "FAMILY". Are all caps a problem? I've included the configuration menu settings below.

1 - Change Network Settings - ( 192.168.1.62 / 255.255.255.0 )
2 - Change Name - ( Reddogs )
3 - Change Workgroup - ( FAMILY )
4 - Configure Storage Disks
5 - Change Password
6 - Change Date and Time - ( Fri Oct 1 15:42:32 UTC 2004 )
7 - Reboot
8 - Shutdown
9 - Save Configuration
C - Make NASLite Floppy
E - Exit

Thanks
jiggsrh

Post subject: My file server WORKS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:48 pm 

Thanks all.

I got the file server to work. I appreciate everyones help. It feels great to get the server up and running.

Jiggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:08 pm 

just out of curiousity..what was the problem ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:00 am 

what was the problem ? Dummy behind the keyboard.

An old habbit of mine. For security sake, I have always turned off tcp/ip bindings in the advanced network settings for file and print sharing & client for networks in the network properties. That explains why i could see the nas drive from explorer but could not see the drive in network neighborhood. After allowing tcp/ip, I was able to use the nas drive.

The only other problem I had was with Norton Inernet Security. It would not allow the network drive to be accessed by default. I temporarily disabled NIS and was able to map nas drives then reset NIS. All is good.

Jiggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:16 pm 

I have got my NASLite+ box up and running by following your steps of disabling and then enabling Norton Internet Security. However, when I reboot my PC (not the NASLite+ box), it won't see the server again, until I disable Norton. There must be a permanent way of fixing this?