NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:34 am 

first off, thanks for NASLite! i finally got around to setting it up on an old computer, and it could not have been easier.

i put two 200GB hard drives in a computer with an AMD K6-2 500MHz, with 192MB RAM, with a netgear FA310TX NIC. this is at my place of work, and will be used for file storage of all sorts... and connectinig to it was a piece of cake.

anyway, as i was sitting there figuring out how to do proper archiving, a question popped into my head that i did not know the answer to. all of the work computers are win95, win98, NT4, or w2k. [ i don't upgrade until forced at gun point :) ] i know that with these older versions of windows, that one can not use an internal hard drive larger than 137GB, or an external USB drive for that matter. well, you can with w2ksp4 and LBA enabled in the registry, but the majority of the computers accessing and using the NASLite server will be win9x computers.

once i fill up these drives past 137GB, i was wondering if i would encounter problems or errors accessing them from the win9x computers. i don't think so since NASLite and linux is handling the file system, not windows. but i'm thinking ... maybe it is a problem... but i doubt it... but i don't know... so i thought i would ask.

thanks again.
michael hallsted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:21 am 
mikehallsted,

Because you are accessing the Hard Drive on the file server, the capacity of the hard drive does not matter. you will not encounter a problem.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:39 pm 

that's what i thought.
thanks!

now if only i could afford those new 500GB hard drives :)