NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:41 pm 

Hi!

NASLite sounded like a interesting program, so I decided to check it out. I set up a Linux box and created an install disk. I then took an older computer and installed NASLite on a new HD. Everything is running as expected. Problem: I cannot see the "file server" on my network (LAN). I suspect the problem is that I have a gateway cable modem and my network workgroup is USB_LLINK. Is there a way to assign a default gateway (in addition to the IP/Subnet address)? Also is there a way to change/assign the NASLite computer to my USB_LLink workgroup?

Warmest Regards,

Ric Schecter
rjs41@alumni.cwru.edu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 pm 

hi there,

NASLite doesn't have gateway capability (keeps it safe from nastys on the interweb that way) but that shouldn't stop you getting to it over your local network.

Option 3 on the NASLite main menu is "change workgroup". Well it is on my NASLite+ box anyway, I think the menu is the same, either way there should be an option for it there somewhere. You'll need to set the workgroup to the same as the rest of your network. Also make sure the IP address isn't conflicting with any of the other devices on your network.

If you are running a software firewall on your PC's (such as zone-alarm) you will need to add the NASLite box's IP to the trusted zone before you can access it

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:30 pm 

Hi! Mongoose,

Thanks for the post. Option 3 on my machine says 'Not Used'. Option 1 says 'Change Network Settings', but only allows for setting the IP address and submask. If there isn't a command line entry that will set the workgroup, it sounds like I am out of luck.

Warmest Regards,

tyrone3a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Option 3 on my machine says 'Not Used'.

Based on the above statement, I think it's safe to assume that you are not using NASLite-SMB/SMBG but rather an FTP or NFS version. Workgroup setting is out of context with NFS or FTP exports, so the interface for those versions of the NASLite floppy do not use the setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:29 am 

so the solution to your problem should be to download the SMB (or SMBG if you're lucky enough to have Gigabit) version. If you are unfamiliar with it, SMB is Samba, which is used by Linux and similar systems to talk to Windows networks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:48 am 

Hi! Tony & Mongoose,

Thanks for the help/info. I downloaded the SMB version of NAS Lite, retraced my steps (boot a Linux box, uncompress the file, etc.) and am now up and running NASLite - SMB. With the SMB software I was able to change the system to my LAN workgroup. After a reboot, I was able to copy files to the NASLite drive and to access those files from other computers on my LAN.

Warmest Regards,

tyrone3a