NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:19 pm 

so i concluded from the non-replies on my other thread, that USB floppy drives are not supported, so i dusted off an old floppy and created a naslite floppy to try this puppy out. At first it was great, naslite booted up great, found and formatted 2 x maxtor 160MB HDD, then i proceeded to move some data on to it (about 400GB of photos to disk 2)

however, part way through the copying, the power in the house went out (winds are blowing pretty hard this time of the year) and the naslite machine went down, it rebooted, and naslite booted from floppy again, everything looked normal and the 100mbit ethernet link was enabled, however, it all of a sudden hung with a blank screen with "Disk 1 - Partition found" at the top, and nothing else. There were no beeps, no sound. subsequent reboots did not help this at all.

Question
1. why did naslite die this way? did the disk 2 become corrupt?
2. why doens't naslite recover gracefully so that i can "hopefully" recover the data? i'm imaginging that if i used this for my primary backup, and there was a power failure in the middle of a full backup- what would happen?

any pointers/help? i really like the naslite concept and want to buy naslite+, but this is making me worried.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

There is an associated manual for each product made available by Server Elements. I am sure that taking a look at the appropriate manual for your version of NASLite would have answered both of your questions.

The floppy disk versions of NASLite have no concept of USB, so even though it may be possible to boot from a USB floppy - BIOS permitting, NASLite can't save the necessary configuration since it can't see the boot floppy.

Since power went out wjile your machine was active and drives mounted, NASLite needs to check and if necessary fix the filesystems. That takes a bit of time. If you take a look at the HD LED, you'll notice that it's on while NASLite is checking the drive. The check may take some time, so boot the machine and walk away for a while. It will finish eventually.

Anyway, enjoy NASLite ;-)

Post subject: something related ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:09 pm 

This MAY be relevant: see my post of Jan. 25/2006.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 26a0f1239c