NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm 

Please excuse a few questions from a guy who has been involved with small computers for many years, but just discovered NASLITE.

I was wondering if there has been any independent benchmark testing of the NASLITE file server. Or, if not, some idea of what to expect. Assuming 7200 RPM ATA-100 drives with 8 MB cache and a gigabit NIC, what sort of speed can be expected? Are the read and write speeds significantly different?

Running strictly as a file server, does NASLITE+ offer any real speed advantage over NASLITE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:43 pm 

See this topic for typical performance for the free floppy version of NASLite:
http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=441&sid=f0e3758391f738ca3146310ea686244c

Upgrading to NASLite+ will definately improve the performance. 9MB/sec for writes is typical. Reads are a little less, around 7MB/sec.

See this topic about performance of NASLite+: http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=220&sid=f0e3758391f738ca3146310ea686244c

These numbers are reported from actual users, so I guess you could call them independant. :lol:

I have NASLite+ and can stream movies from the box without any pauses. With the free floppy version you should still be able to stream MP3's.

The other thing that will affect performance with NASLite+ is the DMA speed of your montherboard. I have an old motherboard with slow DMA, so I only get 7MB/sec writes and 4.5MB/sec reads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:34 pm 

Quote:
9MB/sec for writes is typical. Reads are a little less, around 7MB/sec.

Boy... that transfer rate stinks.

I have a Pentium-III machine with a gigabit NIC running Win2000 Pro as a small office server, and I can get 25 MB/SEC. This rate seems more or less limited by the NIC on the PCI bus rather than by hard drive, mobo or processor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:22 pm 

The numbers I gave were for people with 100Mb networks. 9MB/sec is about 90% of the available bandwidth.

If you have a Gigabit network your rates with NASLite+ will probably be similar to what you get with the Windows machine.