NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: multiple hard drives
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:45 am 

I have an old IBM case with plenty of room for four hard drives (two in it so far), and I have some spare hard drives, but there is no mount that is the right size for two more drives. How can I mount the other drives in there? Do I need to buy an adapter somewhere (I have mounting brackes in there for the wide style of drive, like a CD-ROM or old 5 1/4" drive) or can I maybe drill some holes in the existing old-style brackets? Or would it be feasable to just set the drives in there, knowing that the case must be handled with care?

What are the other ramifications of having four drives in the case? Heat? Power drain? How can I tell if my power supply is up to the task?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:03 am 

Michael,

For testing, laying the drives in there will work. Most of us who've played around for awhile w/ computers have several boxes like that.

For regular use, get yourself 4 strips of sheet metal - old cases are a great supply of this - and drill 3 holes in each, spaced to allow hard drives to fit (height wise). Take the top hole and attach it to the existing mount points, and let the strip hang down. Attach the next drive to the next set of drilled hole, and likewise with the last.

As to heat, you can always add another fan. Most power supplies will have no problem w/ modern IDE drives, they take a lot less power than the old MFM drives, and back then they were using 200 watt power supplies!

Tim

Post subject: tin strips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:05 pm 

Ooo... great idea! Thanks for that tip... I think I can use that!