NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:28 pm 

hello,

i was wondering if i put one Linux based 20GB HDD (Fedora Core Installation and later a Debian Sarge Install) in an old PC, booting Naslite, do NO Config of the Storage and have Access to the Filesystem.
Is this normal?!

So on this way i could easy access Data from an installed Linux System, couldnt I ?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:48 am 

First off I am not positive about this but what I believe I heard awhile ago is NAslite will load the first partion of the drive and that is assuming it is with a ext2 file system. Also something I am not sure how will work is file permissions. In a normal naslite drive permissions for all files I believe is set to 777 while I doubt that is what it is in your linux distro hard drive. So there might be some problems there I am not sure. That said if ever there was a problem you should be able to run a chmod command from the other linux system if still operational.
If for some reason you can not boot the other system and you just want the data back you could try running a live distro(runs from cd or dvd). Then mount the drive and move all important data to the nas server then you could format and use the 20 gig drive as you like.