NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wish: Password reset
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:28 am 

hello,

is it possible to build a small modification in te nasLite Disk Copy Funktion / panel to reset the password to default or so?!
If i want to build a floppy to give it someone else the Disk has my own set password. The user can not edit anything without my password, thats not so good ;-)

I'm thinking of a small parameter in the line "Copy Using Disk> " not only to have the number of Disks but also the parameter "Reset Password = C" and maybe "reset IP Settings to default = I" or so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:27 pm 
I don't really think the changes would be worth while.
you see you are creating a new disk once this is done you simply change the ip and password and give this one to you friend, it will only take a extra few seconds to change the settings and i dont think many people would use the reset password and ip.

Naslite is not secure and anyone can create a disk and access your data so just because they dont know your password it does not mean they cant access your drives..

Last edited by Admin on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:41 am 

hello edeng,

i think you missed the point a little bit. Its not about security, but about usability.
Its about to copy a naslite to share this with others. if you can say "hey, no problem, folks. here i create u the disk in just seconds" but without the horrible "aehm, u just have 2 wait 2 seconds because i must do that and that that this would work with the manual default settings ..." would this be great or not :-)

I talked on several meetings and Events about the naslite, have a smal box with me an anytime some guys came "i have a Disk here. can u copy..." and if u have a bunch of lets say 40 people about you (thats normal for me if i have such meetings), there is not much time for changing things. naslite just works. Its a great thing. Its just to make it a bit better...
Or let me guess a LAN-Party, someone has the naslite-box there. after 10h of playing u always miss 2 change the password or anything else :-)
Think about it a while.

Its only about usability, not security (this was discussed on other threads here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 am 
Hi,

I do see your point, but in your Orignal post you said give to someone and never mentioned handing out naslite on mass.

yes there could be a problem with handing out your floppie with your password on as when they get home they would not know your password and the disk would be no good to them. but u only mentioned it as giving to a friend, and making changes for one person didnt seem worthwhile.

if its not a security issue, then why dont u just have the naslite setup with the default password, the other settings they could change themselves.