NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:36 pm 

I've been playing with NASLite floppy version for a couple weeks now, great little system.

I'm trying to decide how I can utilize this (a second NL host) as a backup server with a couple removable drive caddies.

If I install two drives and two rotational spare drive/caddy units and format them all under the NAS bootup menu (in two formatting sessions, shutdown, re & re then format next set) do they need to be re-inserted in the correct original order or will NASLite just recognize them as naslite formatted devices and allocate them against disks Disk-1 & Disk-2 regardless of the order the disks are inserted?

Since I only have two drive bays I am assuming I would need to install the drives A and B, initially format (these whould show up as Disk-1 & Disk-2) then power off and install disks C & D, format these (I assume they would also show up on the NAS as Disk-1 and Disk-2 again).

I'm curious what the result would be if either drives A & B were inserted as B and A *and* if drives A and C (or B and D) were inserted and NASLite booted.

Tx in advance for any thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:38 pm 

Opps, I forgot to add a question re: the subject: are these dirves prtoable acros NASLite servers: can I take a NASLite drive and bring it home to a NASLITE server here and have it come up. The answers from the original question above likely will answer this one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:06 pm 

aedwards wrote:
Opps, I forgot to add a question re: the subject: are these dirves prtoable acros NASLite servers: can I take a NASLite drive and bring it home to a NASLITE server here and have it come up. The answers from the original question above likely will answer this one!

a very good question, to which i am patiently waiting for an answer from some specialized in this stuff.

AWESOME product by the way TONY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

The short answer is yes.

You can use any storage drive from any NASlite v1.x server on any NASLite v1.x server. I use mobile trays extensively with NASlite. Moving data between locations is pretty easy that way.

All versions of NASLite are designed to automatically check, mount and export all available storage drives that are found during boot time. That is an important design feature. It is actually one of the main reasons why NASlite does not save configs to a storage drive. The OS is completely detached and independent of the storage drives.