NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:46 pm 

I have noticed that my NAS-Lite-SMB server will spontaneously revert back to local time instead of UTC time. I'm guessing this happens when there has been a breif power outtage and the machine has booted back up again. The first I notice it is when I go to save a file to the drive from one machine and then pull up the appropriate directory on another machine to copy the file to that machine... and notice that the timestamp is off! Earlier today I did that, and the timestamp was listed as Future! I logged into the box via telnet and, sure enough, the time there had reverted to local time instead of UTC, so I adjusted it to the correct time again...

Is there a way to make sure it gets the correct time on restart next time? This is getting annoying...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:08 am 
Site Admin

NASLite sets its system time on boot by querying the hardware clock. It also updates the hardware clock to the system time on reboot and shutdown. If you set the system time via the admin menu without rebooting, and you experience a power outage, the hardware clock would not be updated thus causing the behavior you described.

If you want to make sure the hardware clock is set, reboot after setting the system time.

Hope that helps.