NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:07 am 

Hello guys,

I use nas-lite to share 4 ide-harddisks in my little windows network. I sync the files from my Windows XP PC to the NAS-lite-PC. (tried all sorts of sync programmes but the all give errors)

Right now i am down to SyncToy from Microsoft. Works great but (even when nothing has changed on the XP-pc) when i re-sync, the same old files get copied to the nas-lite-pc.

Some info:

PC 1: Windows Xp, SP 2
I login as a user with administrator rights.

PC 2: NAS-lite floppy (booted). All harddisks are formatted by NAS-lite and work correctly (passed smartdisk/tests)

setup NAS-lite: 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0, workgroup name identical on the NAS-pc as on the XP-pc
setup XP-pc: 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0

Error message in Allway sync: access denied to m:\_sync_app\metadata.xml (which is disk-1)
access denied to p:\lost+found (which is disk-4)

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:23 am 

patrick1963 wrote:
Error message in Allway sync: access denied to m:\_sync_app\metadata.xml (which is disk-1)
access denied to p:\lost+found (which is disk-4)

Any ideas?

These mappings don't look correct. "lost+found" is a read-only directory on the disk. You can't save data to that directory.

Try re-mapping to the main disk itself (e.g., Disk-1 or Disk-4) rather than to a sub-directory on the disk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:05 am 

Hello again,

Mappings are allright (typo in my former message). Mappings all point to the root of the harddisk's. (not the lost+found directory) I am now using a new sync programme (Karen's replicator) which works better (but does report errors). Anyway Karen doesn't try to recopy old (already copied/unchanged) files to the NAS-server so i am happy... (for now)

I still feel there is something wrong with the rights an (windows XP) administrator has on the NAS-server. (because of the error messages i got from alwayssync and synctoy from Microsoft) It suggest that the administrator can't read/write/find files/directories on the NAS-server. (from time to time?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:38 pm 

Try one of these backup programs:
http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/SyncBack.htm

or

http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc/

Post subject: sync programmes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:22 am 

Thnx for the advice. Syncback is shareware but i will give it a try, the other one is linux-software i think (a bootdisk like NAs-lite?).