NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:34 pm 

mother board chaintec (purchased 1998)
600 MHz processor
2 X 128 pc100 ram
ati graphics card
1 Ethernet card
1 x samsung DVD drive
2 x sata pci controla card using ied and 1 sata on 1 card
then 1 sata on other

4x ied hard drive (2x 20, 1 x 10, 1x 30)
1x 250 gb sata drive
1x 500gb sata drive

system boots from CD and floppy

this is only for personal use did have this working until i used picolo zip in windows xp to zip a file on 250 sata drive now has filing system error have left this for over 6 days with no result
ubuntube can see the files when booted on another mor powerfully box but use this forother things. i know very little about Linux and just using naslight strait from CD ISO sei-2-6 nl-ccd.iso Nov 2010 under stand from here that nas lite is not very informative when checking filing system
all idea appreciated thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:05 pm 

am a little confused so let me summarise what i think i understand

this was a working naslite system that in some way you messed up a drive - that drive is indexing but 6 days down the line is still indexing

if thats correct then first thing i would try is removing the drive you made an error on - made a mess on and check that is the problem by rebooting the system without it

if the system boots then i would look at getting more memory on board - that will help with indexing - see what happens from there after you put the drive back in the system

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 am 

sailho: you are posting in the v1.x products. Are you using the free version ? If so ... there are some files size limitations ( I don't remember them, but you can find out easily enough ). If the file you attempted to transfer exceeds the limits this could explain part of your troubles.

Also ... if tony a understands you correctly ... yes, you might need some more memory. 256MB SHOULD be enough, but if there's an fsck operation going on during boot the system could hang if it has too little RAM (with the larger drives). 512MB would really help. The fsck on the larger drives could take (only) several hours, even on the slower hardware; it should not take more than a day, or even close to 24 hours. (At least on the non-free products; I don't have v1.x fsck experience.)

(You should also verify the RAM you have is in working order with memtest routines.)

( Where the term "indexing" is used above I assume "file checking" (fsck) is meant. )