NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:54 pm 

I was in the middle of moving a large folder to the NAS, and in the middle of that, suddenly Windows started complaining it couldn't access the drive. I can access the contents of that drive via the web-interface, navigate through the subdirs, open files from there (pictures and the like, say), but... every time I try to open the drive from my desktop, it gives me:

Windows cannot access \\NASLITE-SMB\Disk-1

You do not have permission to access \\NASLITE-SMB\Disk-1. Contact your network administrator to request access.

I can access Disk-2 the usual way, though, without trouble. It did something like this to me a few days ago, but went back to working like normal again after I restarted the NAS.... but not before the NAS sat doing non-stop disk-access for hours as if it was fixing something.

I don't see any obvious warnings showing when I poke around on the Info page at my NAS. Should I be looking for something in particular?

---Addendum:

I have gone to another machine on my LAN, and can access Disk-1 without difficulty from that one. The machine I am having access difficulties on is running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit, the other machine is running Windows 98SE (don't ask! :D).

---Addendum2:

Okay, now it's back to working again, and I've moved the rest of the folder over. Dunno why it went back to working. I didn't do anything. Oddly, my internet went down and came back up while I was waiting for an answer here. I wonder if that might have had something to do with the Windoze7 machine spontaneously finding it could access Disk-1 again. Like, internet going down and coming back up cleared some flag somewhere in the Win7 machine's innards related to its Ethernet, or something. (At the same time that my internet came back up, I happened to decide to check, and found I could access Disk-1 again.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:09 pm 

Okay, today my Windows machine intermittently puts the whole drive into Offline mode. I'll go to open the window for it, and it takes forever to load the contents... then puts it up in Offline mode (because I set one of the dirs to available-offline. It was the only way to get the Music library folder to accept Music folder (shortcut) from on the NAS.) I can then load the Disk-1 window over from scratch and it loads it. But then I look at it a moment later and it's gone back to Offline mode (big grey X's on all the folders), and then returns to normal. Grrrr...

This is driving me nuts. I do things fairly regularly on the NAS. It's where I store all my media files (pictures, music, documents, etc.), downloads, and so on.

Is this something Windoze7 is doing, or is this something the NAS is doing? oO

---addendum:
And now it's back to saying Windows cannot access....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:09 pm 

I think it likely a windows problem. The networking is fast but finicky at times on 7. I simply have our NAS on 24/7 and map the drives in windows, seems to work great for me though there are still times when I have this issue they are just few and far between. Make sure all the power saving on the NAS motherboard and the drives are turned off.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:15 pm 

Well, I'm PRETTY sure I have those turned off. And after posting the above I even found, and turned off, a feature that was in the nvidia Ethernet settings, where it would turn off power to the Ethernet port at idle, which struck me as mondo stupid, especially on a desktop machine. I haven't had the issue of the drive suddenly not being available halfway through a transfer so far since then, though -- knock wood -- but then haven't been moving lotsa large folders around since then either.

Oh, wait, you're talking about on the NAS machine, not the Windows machine. I've had this NAS running for many years, and haven't touched any settings on it in a long time. I only started having this issue fairly recently.

Anyway, back to the Windows machine.

I DO still have another, possibly related problem that has been hassling me for weeks, and just happened to me again today in fact: I have a windows explorer window open to Disk-1. I walk away from the machine for awhile, and when I come back at a point when it has been long enough that, upon my dispelling the screensaver, the machine requests I select the (only existing) user to log back in as... when I do that, Windows immediately tells me Disk-1 is no longer accessible, and only after I've tried to access it several times can I access Disk-1 again. And also, at the same time I get back to the desktop and get the above error, all other programs I have open that are doing something online, such as Trillian, behave as if the internet connection JUST came back up.

Weirdly, when Disk-1 gives me the cannot-access-disk message, I can immediately bring up Disk-2 on the machine fine, but can't bring up anything on Disk-1.

It's interesting that the machine seems MUCH quieter just before I move the mouse around to get out of blank-black-screen mode, i.e. I don't hear the sound of cooling fans running... as if the machine itself had gone into power saver mode. This is even though I'm pretty sure I turned power saver mode off!!!

I dunno, could Windows 7 have hidden some OTHER, independent, go-into-power-saver-mode on/off setting somewhere deep inside one of the configuration menus other than the one related to the screensaver?

But I'm probably asking on the wrong place. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 am 

NomadOfNorad wrote:
I dunno, could Windows 7 have hidden some OTHER, independent, go-into-power-saver-mode on/off setting somewhere deep inside one of the configuration menus other than the one related to the screensaver?

But I'm probably asking on the wrong place. :(

Yes, (I have the italian version so I try to translate)

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Power saving

then choose advanced options ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:59 pm 

I am having a similar issue with Windows XP SP3, but it is not intermittent! It is now all the time! I have been using NASLite for YEARS with no issues. All of a sudden this cropped up, first on my wife's computer (wireless) and now on mine (Wired to Router).

The NASLite server is pingable and I can access all disks and files via the WEB interface (but cannot WRITE to it this way) but it refuses to connect when I map a drive.

There were some XP Updates recently... did they BREAK something??

Thanks in advance..

P.S. NASLITE, not NASLITE-SMB here..

At least one other person has seen the same thing:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Micr ... 04997.html

Here are the patches... some SMB related stuff. Could this be the culprit?

http://www.softpoint.in/microsoft-patch ... eased.html

EDIT; OK YES it seems to be affecting all of the ServerElements NAS products. And somone isolated the problem update in one of the other forums here.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3623

Appears to be a SAMBA bug w/re to plaintext Passwords...

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8238

Not sure how that helps me using the ancient NASLITE :(