NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:30 pm 

using and xp pro with naslite. system works fine except when i copy a lot of files or when my move or copy time exceeds 3- 5 minutes. I keep getting an error message which is "sepcified network name is nolonger available".

and then on my other workstation also an xp pro I opened my computer and the mapped naslite drives all had question marks on them. These question marks went away with a mouse over.

If this is not enough info suggest what you may need. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:18 am 

As I recall (it was several months ago), I had the same problem (I use Win2000 on my PCs, however). After a certain amount of time, I would get the "sepcified network name is no longer available" message.

I never did figure out what the problem was. I suspected, but did nothing to really verify, that it might be related to some sort of power saving issue on the server box because this always seemed to happen about the same time as the monitor attached to the NAS server would go blank. Thinking that the server was going into some sort of power-saving mode and, thus, "disconnecting" from the network, I turned off anything I could find in the BIOS that looked like it might be related to power-saving. As I recall (remember, this was several months ago), that didn't solve the problem and the monitor still went blank after a few minutes.

I gave up on it with the intention of looking at other alternatives. Recently, I decided to give NASLITE another try (it's the cheapest alternative since I already have the "spare" PC and extra hard drives), assuming this issue can be resolved.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Post subject: Also noticed a lockup
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:15 pm 

I just started using NASLite on a 200 MHz Pentium with 32Mbyte RAM. My initial use is to store the local copy of my websites.

Things seem to go well, except when I try to transfer a large amount of data by dragging a folder onto the Disk-1 mapped drive (Win XP Home on the clients). I have also noticed problems when I interrupt an ongoing transfer by trying to start another one.

Anything common to this thread?

Thanks,
Bob