NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: error writing to nasbox
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:40 pm 

Hi,
I am using NASLite NFS which seems to be running ok but am having problems writing files to the nasbox. Every time I try to copy files over is says "cannot copy (file): Access is denied. Make sure the......".

I am sing XP Pro and followed a guide on the forum on how to access the server and all that is working ok. The IP on the nas box is 20.0.0.15 if this makes any differnce.

It says this with every type of file i try to copy. I have unticked the read-only in properties on the files.

Am i missing something or just not doing it right. If anyone can help i would be most thankful.

I know practically nothing about linux but have basic know.... on servers etc.

Many Thanks,

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:51 am 

OK for a start unless you are:

OrgName: Computer Sciences Corporation
Address: 3170 Fairview Park Drive

you should not be using that ip address as it is owned by someone else.

Use a private address scheme such as 10.0.0.15 255.255.255.0.

Next since you are using Windows and unless you have a specific reason use the SMB version not the NFS version.

Theres a start ;)

Post subject: error writtingto nasbox
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:54 am 

Rude are are!!!

The reason for using the NFS version is because i thought that the SMB version didn't support files over 4gb and the NFS version does. As for the IP address, as its not connected to the internet why does it matter what IP address is used. Like I said I don't claim to be a computer wiz, everyone have to start somewhere and comments like yours just show your an idiot. I thought this forum was for helping people who don't know and have problems and not to call them useless.

Nowonder its so hard to find straight answers with idiots like FAT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:04 am 

Peter i did not mean to be offensive in any way.

You mistake a list of facts for rudeness.

I suggest you learn how to post on a forum rather than call someone an idiot that took time to help you or at least learn not to be an offensive.

An apology would be appreciated if you really do want help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:05 pm 

Quote:
Rude are are!!!

The reason for using the NFS version is because i thought that the SMB version didn't support files over 4gb and the NFS version does. As for the IP address, as its not connected to the internet why does it matter what IP address is used. Like I said I don't claim to be a computer wiz, everyone have to start somewhere and comments like yours just show your an idiot. I thought this forum was for helping people who don't know and have problems and not to call them useless.

Nowonder its so hard to find straight answers with idiots like FAT.

peter,

You came here for help and then bit the hand that was extended out to you. Name calling will get you nothing, especially when you are the one asking for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:56 pm 

I just like to mention that I too read fat's first comment as something rude. Although probably nothing was ment by it, but there is no point in mentioning anything except maybe he should use smb. The rest of post is kind of challenging in nature and I can understand peter getting a bit bothered.

That being said peter you might try a little more tolerance when you come across unfriendly seeming posts.

OKay now anyone else have any ideas for peter on how to solve his nfs issues.
Or peter did you solve your problem? If so you mind sharing your solution.

Post subject: still no luck
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:34 am 

I know that i should be more tollernt and yes i may have been wrong to post my last comment but its very frustrating when you are new to things and get post like that.

I have not yet found a solution to my problem but have another problem as well :( . Is it true that the SMB version does not support file sizes over 4gb and the NFS version does?
The reason I ask is although i have read this in the forum somewhere I have a file size over 4gb which shows when i access it through network connections but not through Internet Explorer. Any Idea's?

Does it really matter what IP address I use as its not connected to the internet or is this something I must change?

Well I will keep looking for the solution and if i find one i will post it.

Oh by the way, sorry fat if i upset you but your post really annoyed me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:09 pm 

In theory if you dont connect to the net then no. But to be clear it is completlely against the way IP was designed to work.

Heres a hypothetical example. If for some reason packets from your LAN hit an internet router they would be passed onto the net and the responses to these packets will go to the real owner. Using a private address they would be dropped immediately. Also some applcations know the difference between private and public addresses so in theory you could end up with "funny" things happening.

Its up to you if you choose to do that , and for all the effort it is i would fix it, but as I say it is not correct.

SMB does have a limit. I do not believe NFS has such a limit. However you cant use NFS with windows without adding extra software which i believe is not free. If you are using windows I suspect you will have to do research on how to access NFS from windows.

Oh and obviously appology accepted... just dont be so quick to snap the hand that helps next time ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:15 am 

Guy's it is interesting, to read the forum, and I think that a relevant forum on the subkect that you are interested in is worth its weight in Gold. The reason for this is that it can save you hours of work especially if you are trying to learn a new subject.

I was working with major US company and the people I was working with were running a Network management course. Now these guys really should have known better, but they used some of the companies real IP addresses, instead of the private addresses that are allocated for this purpose. Well their attide was that as this was a lab situation then what could possible go wrong - well they decided that in networking terms the lab. didn't really show enough networking devices so why not just connect it to the corporate network.

Of course we they were getting the error message 'Duplicate IP Address' and if that wasn't bad enough the real address that they were using belonged to the Executive Directors of the Corporation. Who incidently also got the same error message, and were then disconnected from the network. Fairly soon after this happened the Network Police turned up and the rest as they say is history.

The reason that these people didn't want to change the IP addresses is that they were using Unix PC's and every database has to be unloaded until you get to the base level, then the address can be changed then they have to be reloaded.

So had someone just used a Private Address in the first place, then all of this would have been avoided.

So comments like this one should act as a trigger for the future readers to be aware that this maybe just as important as anyother aspect of the install.

Post subject: error writing to nas box
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:10 pm 

i have a program to be able to use NFS version and it is free as long asyou fill out a form. I found the info on how to use NFS with windows somewhere else in the forum.

Still no luck withbeen able to write some files and still not showing files over 4gb through internet exp but can see them when i access the box through network conections.

I have changed the ip address as you suggested but the problem still remains. I will keep trying and if i find a solution i will post it.