NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New ide naslite ?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:11 am 

I searched in forum archive about using naslite with ide or other boot device. I saw only a thread with some people answering that it is silly to put naslite on ide (wasting one port).

There is a lot of small diskless stations throwed to the dustbin.
In some, you have place to put a CF card and one disk. Or perharps use integrated "disk on chip" with one disk.

With a simple converter, CF become a simple ide disk. No need to use USB.

It's enough for a little network: A small box (A4 format) with less than 5 centimeters high can be moved easily and can be hide if you have a wife who hate coimputers !

It's a pity to waste :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:41 am 
Site Admin

We've been looking at the DOC option. There are a number of devices that will be a fair target such as the Allwell 1030N.

How many people will be interested in a version of NASLite that is designed to boot from a DOC? If there is a level of interest that warrants development, then maybe we can take a closer look...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am 

Quote:
How many people will be interested in a version of NASLite that is designed to boot from a DOC? If there is a level of interest that warrants development, then maybe we can take a closer look...

Hi Tony,

Thanks for answer. As said why don't you only make a simple version for ide device ?

When you use old boards with DOC, DOC are identified as C:
Just use an cdrom for installation on the doc and remove it after.
No need to use developpment board for programing DOC.

For CF, same distribution can be used with a simple ide to CF converter.

I dream of a simple naslite CD: just boot, copy files to CF or DOC, remove CDROM and put ide disk. 8)

Ps: I've got some boxes, if you need betatesters.

Have a nice day.
Oleg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:37 am 

Personally I feel introducing a print server version and a SATA/RAID and PCI card IDE adapter version would be of more benefit, once SATA and IDE adapter software is available then you could afford to utilise say an old spare 4gb hard drive as the boot and config device because there would be plenty of expansion capabilities utilising the other channels. My Naslite server has been up and running now for a month without any hiccups :D . Very pleased with it, just hope the developement of some of the ideas mentioned in the forums can be introduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:09 pm 

I rather like the IDE version, there are a number of IDE flash interfaces out there now...
(example)
http://www.pretec.com/product/SSD/Indus ... iniide.htm

Was talking to a friend of mine with reguards to home networking he was trying to figure out how he could do a 4 U system (FTP, HTTP, NAS & SMTP). Rather than do the immediate expense to find out if its something he will actually make use of I suggested this option to him. Since NASLite has 3 of the 4 whipped. Now he and I are playing with a printserver and mailserver along the same concept and doing it all with a small row of old HP boxes. Total colst of a cheap 4 U system @ 6,500. So far in this project we have @ 20.00. Sounds like a pretty fair tradeoff to me LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:28 am 

I am very interested in the DOC-version!

Ide ports stay free
NASLite and storage stay separate

I suppose/hope that from floppy version to DOC version it is not very far.
If the hardcoded "I will save my config data only to a floppy" is changed to "I save to where I come from" then you have a
doc-zipdrive-pccard-cf-sd version
Voilá!