NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:26 pm 

Hi,

First off, what a great program! I can't believe how much I was considering spending on a dedicated NAS external drive.

However, I'm having trouble connecting to NASLite-SMB with WinXP SP 2 and am afriad I'm missing something obvious. Details:

I set up a test NASLite-SMB server at work (10.1.1.x and MYCOMPANY domain) and was able to connect from a WinXP SP 1 box without a hitch. I took the server home and applied my local settings (192.168.1.x with the same MYCOMPANY domain) and cannot connect via a work laptop (again, same MYCOMPANY domain) running WinXP SP 2.

I can telnet into it and browse via HTTP but can't connect using either \\192.168.1.x\Disk-1 or \\NASLite-SMB\Disk-1. Nor can I map the drive. The connection prompts me for a username/password but nothing seems to work and the username field is grayed out.

I can however connect successfully via Mac OS X so it's got to be something not set correctly in WinXP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by metromonkey on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: laptop
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:16 pm 

Can you connect from the work laptop when you are on your network at work? If you still can't do it there, then there is definitely a configuration issue on the laptop. If you CAN when you are there, there might be some difference in the networks themselves that is causing a problem.

(Not a NASLite tech, just a guy who's used to troubleshooting stuff. ;) )

Post subject: Progress
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply, Michael. Turns out the laptop started exhibiting some additional odd behavior last night unrelated to NASLite (e.g., I could connect to my offsite FTP server but not get a listing of the directory files).

I took the laptop to work and had the same FTP problem as before whereas my desktop PC worked fine. A colleague said she had experienced issues with our VPN software in the past and to check that.

Sure enough, stopping the "Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service" resolved the FTP error and I'm betting will fix the NASLite one as well. I'm going to test again tonight and will reply back here with the outcome.

With crossed fingers,
_mm

Post subject: Grr...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:11 pm 

Finally got to test this last night and no luck. Stopping the VPN service did resolve the FTP issue but I still couldn't login to the NASLite server. It would prompt for creditials but not accept anything.

The NASLite volume appeared in my Network Neighborhood but when I tried to get properties on the server it put up an error message saying I didn't have the proper access rights to view the info.

I'll try bringing everything back up to work to see if there's something in my Linksys router setup that's blocking it (although I doubt it since I can login to NASLite via Mac OS X).

Also, I'm able to login to my Mac from the WinXP laptop with Windows Sharing enabled on the Mac. Maybe the workgroup name on the NASLite server has something to do with it? I'm more of a Mac guy so this Windows stuff can seem like voodoo at times.

Again, any suggestions in the meantime would be appreciated!
_mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Make sure that the laptop is set as part of a workgroup and not a domain. Also make sure that the laptop workgroup is the same as the NASLite workgroup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:13 am 

net use \\NASLite-SMB\Disk-1 /USER:NAS-User

same for the other shares, etc.

Then you should be able to hit it with explorer.

It's an issue with saved credentials. If there is no DC to authenticate you, it just won't authenticate as an anonymous user. Leave the domain and it will work, or just log into it from dos and it'll work.

Post subject: success!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:21 pm 

That worked like a charm, exactly as described.

Thanks for the solution, lusid!

_mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:40 am 

If you create a user on the domain with the same username as NAS-User with no password you should be able to connect with the NAS box directly by using the NAS-User username as your credentials.

I think any way.

Try it and see