NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:34 pm 

I have a machine running NASLite-SMB that I've been using with no problems for ages.

I recently added a new machine to my LAN which is running Windows 7 beta, and have created desktop shortcuts to the two drives on my NAS like I have on all the other Windows machines in the house. I can access the two drives perfectly fine, I can read and write files on the two drives perfectly fine.

From the Win7 machine, I tried to delete a folder on the drive, though, and ran into an error. Upon further scrutiny, I've determined that the Win7 machine isn't reading the file permissions correctly. It seems to be seeing everything that was written to the NAS from one of the other machines as read only.

Actually, now that I try it, I find that it shows ALL files as read only, including ones written to the NAS from the Win7 machine.

I can move files around, I can cut and paste, or copy and paste, folders from one place on the drive to another, but I can't alter them or delete them.

I right-click a file or folder, select Properties, and select the Security tab, and under Group or user names I see:

Quote:
Everyone
S-1-5-21-1409530412-1672661395-163577672-1196
S-1-5-21-1409530412-1672661395-163577672-1197

...where Everyone has two heads next to it, and the other two have a question mark next to them.

And under Permissions for Everyone I see that the only item checkmarked under Allow is Read. I can't change the permissions from the Win7 machine, and of course there are no edittable checkboxes appearing in the Allow or Deny columns, just whitespace.

If I go to the WinXP Pro machine most of the files were written from and examine the same Security tab, I might see something like under Group or user names above (the same long-string-of-numbers things after Everyone) for a very brief moment before it then resolves into the usual permissions:

Quote:
Everyone
NAS-User (NASLITE-SMB\NAS-User)
NAS-User (NASLITE-SMB\NAS-User)

...where the first and last on the list have two heads next to them and the one in the middle has one head.

And under Permissions for Everyone, all the Allow and Deny columns have unfilled boxes all the way down. (I.e. it lets you set checkboxes if you want to, not that NASLite-SMB actually ACTS on those changes...)

I'm HOPING this is something that is corrected in newer editions of the NAS software here.

Anyone else here using Windows 7? Are you having similar difficulties? Are you using later NAS soft from here and having, or not having, this trouble under Win7?

Is this a bug with NASLite, or is this a bug with Win7 when dealing with non-Windows shares?

I'm using Build 6801 of Win7, BTW.

(Pokes around a bit more...)

Hmmmm... Yesterday I tried to delete some files in a subdir on the NAS, and got the same error. I just tried deleting them now and COULD delete them. I tried to delete the folder with them still in it, and got the Folder Access Denied, You need permission... error, but was able to delete the folder after deleting the contents, and then delete the folder that that was in. This is simply weird.

Still doesn't explain why Windows7 is displaying the permissions wrong, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:56 am 

Um, hello, Windows 7 is BETA! NL works just fine with windows 3.11, 95, 98, all the flavors of XP I have seen, NT, 2000 pro, 2000server, 2003server, vista32 and vista64, any flavor of Linux I have tried, and a number of Solaris installs on both X86 and Sparc based systems.

Are you getting the general gist?

I think you need to look at your system, network, and windows permissions since the problem is likely, make that VERY LIKELY not NASLite.

Mike

Oh yah, it also works with Windows7 Ultimate 32bit since I have a machine running that right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:10 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Um, hello, Windows 7 is BETA! NL works just fine with windows 3.11, 95, 98, all the flavors of XP I have seen, NT, 2000 pro, 2000server, 2003server, vista32 and vista64, any flavor of Linux I have tried, and a number of Solaris installs on both X86 and Sparc based systems.

Are you getting the general gist?

No need to be sarcastic.

Yes, I know Win7 is in beta, though it IS said to be so far along in its development that it's almost like it's not a beta. There are also rumors that the next version out may well be the first Release Candidate.

Quote:
I think you need to look at your system, network, and windows permissions since the problem is likely, make that VERY LIKELY not NASLite.

So far as I know, the security settings on this Win7 machine are the default ones from the original install. There have been no changes to raise or lower the security settings on network files or the like.

Besides, aren't the file security settings for files on remote shares supposed to be the bailiwick of the remote machine to set?

Quote:
Mike

Oh yah, it also works with Windows7 Ultimate 32bit since I have a machine running that right now.

I'm running Windows7 Ultimate 64bit, build 6801. What build are you running? Anyone else out there running the same Win7 build as me?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:21 pm 

I've run into the same problem as described here. Recently retired my XP machine and bought a new desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The only way I have been able to access my NasLite server is by mapping the drives to the server. If I go into my network folder the NasLite Server shows up but I cannot access it, getting a message that the sever is not accessible.
I'm also having the problem of being able to delete folders and files on the server from Windows 7. I can access the folders, open files, etc., but Windows 7 will not allow me to delete them. I get an error message stating I do not have permission to change the folders, and that a "Remote Procedure Call error Occurred". I have researched this problem extensively and have yet to find a solution to the problem. Windows 7 will not let me change the permissions for these folders.
Anyone have a solution to this problem. I don't think it is a NasLite problem as I can still access, open, close, delete, etc. files from my laptop which is running XP. So, I'm pretty much convinced that MS has struck again with its security measures that are causing this wacky behaviour. Would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:43 am 

Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Choose homegroup and sharing options > Change advanced sharing settings > Password protected sharing > Turn off password protected sharing > Save changes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 pm 

Tried all the tips here and nothing seems to be working. Password protection is turned off. I continue to get the Access Denied error messages whenever I attempt to change a folder on the NasLite Server. I'm pretty certain this is a Windows 7 issue since I don't have any problem at all editing/deleting files and folders from my laptop which is running XP. Wish MS would fix this problem and issue a patch SOON!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 pm 

I have a pair of windows 7 beta machines on my network, one as a media player, the other as a NAT box for my connection. Both are able to access my NAS. I manually setup my network, did you? If not then give that a try after deleting the network that windows setup for you. This may fix the issue, as I recall I made that mistake first off and found the errors of my ways! :D Windows is pure s#!t when it comes to auto setup of your network.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:42 pm 

I used the net use command to map my nasbox drives.

launch a cmd prompt with administrator rights, and try the following. Just change the xx to the correct IP address your using:

net use z: \\192.168.XX.XXX\Shares