NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: slow transfer rate
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:43 am 

I am getting some real slow transfer rates... I wanted to move a 2gig file on to my floppy naslite and it took 50 minutes.

I am running a 10/100 network and the specs of the naslite box are: AMD K2 -400 the mother board has 128 mb of pc 100. could it be that the equipment is to old to expect much more speed? Also if I go with the CD rom version and NFS would this improve?

thanks for all you help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:15 am 

I have ran both the smb floppy version and the cd version. when using the floppy I notice similiars speeds that you have, but with the cd, things are MUCH faster.

I personally need 4 ide hard drives so I initially setup 3 drives and the cd then moved all files where they need to be, now I switched to floppy version now that all the hard moving is done.

I have not tried this, but I believe if you have a supporting 10/100/1000 nic and you use the smb -G version it will give you much better speeds.

As for NFS I have not messed around with that, I usually just mount the samba drives in my linux machine. That is if I need to use them there.

Also your equipment is fine. I run a PII -333mhz 256 (with 128 in past) ram with 3 large drives and I get about 7-8MB/s with the cd version

only reason I run 256 ram is I sometimes have 4-250gb drives in there and do not want any issues.