NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:14 am 

NASLite somehow misunderstands my harddisk, which is some years old (FUJITSU MPE3064AT, 6GB) but was unused when I got it.
On the disk-1 page I find:
Extended self-test routine recommended polling time: 8 minutes

I understand that NASLite checks at bootup, if a extended SMART selftest is scheduled, and if so it performs one. And with the above 8 minutes it does one at EACH bootup.

My NASLite is not running all the time, only some hours per day, and I allways switch it off for the night.
So the log shows silly 21 completed tests for 77 lifetime hours....
I switch NASLite on when I want to use it. And exactly then, when I want to use it, during the first quarter hour or so I have reduced transfer speed because this SMART test is running!

If I could disable SMART at all I would, but there is no BIOS option for that on this machine. What else can I do?
Can I change this recommended polling time to lets say 8 days?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:47 am 

Well if I remember correctly from other posts , there were talks about new nas versions having the smart test be able to be toggle on or off. As of right now i do not believe you can change it though. Also I believe this whole setup is indepenant of the bios so even if you had the option it would not help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:39 am 

animatt wrote:
...Also I believe this whole setup is indepenant of the bios so even if you had the option it would not help.

Good point.

The central problem is the short polling interval which is either because the drive mistakes its age for being long time used, or a misunderstanding between NASLite and drive.
Switching the test off or setting the polling interval myself (per drive, xx hrs of lifetime or xx bootups, whatever comes first, and 0=off)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:59 am 
Site Admin

What the self-test log indicates is that there are 21 self-tests executed for a total of 77 hours the drive has been powered on. Not that you have 77 hours left in the lifetime of your drive.

If you have any further questions on the SMART diagnostics screen, please post it's content and I'll try to answer any questions that you may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:11 am 

Tony wrote:
...there are 21 self-tests executed for a total of 77 hours the drive has been powered on.

That´s exactly what I meant. :? :?:

My question about SMART is, how I can set the polling interval to something that makes sense (or how I can switch testing off).