NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Server quit responding
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:15 am 

Something weird happened the other night... our NASLite box (4 HD's, about 2 gigs each) quit responding to network requests. The only thing it was doing at the time that it quit working was delivering MP3's to one computer over a wireless connection... hardly a high-bandwidth situation! It could not be accessed from our Windows XP box or our Windows 98 box... ultimately I had to use the power switch to kill and restart the power. The hard drives thrashed around for a minute or two, and then everything was fine. I know this information is very spotty, but... any theories as to why something like this might happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:08 pm 

I yesterday had a similar issue. What happened to mine is that the SMB server stop responding and functioning for a while. I was able to see the SMB server but that was about it. I am using the NASlite+ cd so I tried telneting the box and that worked. I also tried to ftp the server and that worked as well.
Not sure if you had the same issue, but just letting people know that my SMB server stopped working for a few ahours, but was not a big deal since I had all the other servers running as well.

Sorry I can not help

Post subject: No telnet
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:36 am 

I couldn't reach it via telnet either, nor could I ping it. It's like the whole TCP/IP implementation froze up. That's why I have so little information about what happened... I couldn't access the machine at all! (If I could have telnetted into it, I would have rebooted via the menus.)

Post subject: Connect a monitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:14 pm 

Same thing happened to me, but I had a monitor connected and it outputted a long stream of errors whenever I wrote to one of the disks. My problem turned out to be a faulty IDE-controller, you probably don't have the same problem, but should connect a monnitor to se if you get any errors.