NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:00 pm 

I read another post about a user having 'memory leak' issues. I too have this issued, and tried other memory cards like was suggested.

However, the problem keeps happening.

I'm running NASLite on a P133 with 48mb of ram... and yes, memory keeps disappearing on a daily basis - in a few days after a reboot the 'info html' pages aren't fully created and thats generally when I do a manual reboot to clear things up.

I question my SMB Log.... here is an exerpt from it:
Code:
[2005/03/21 21:04:50, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(583)
tv1 (192.168.0.205) closed connection to service Disk-2
[2005/03/21 21:04:50, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(550)
tv1 (192.168.0.205) connect to service Disk-2 as user NAS-User (uid=98, gid=98) (pid 268)
[2005/03/21 21:05:01, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(583)
tv1 (192.168.0.205) closed connection to service Disk-2
[2005/03/21 21:05:03, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(550)
tv1 (192.168.0.205) connect to service Disk-2 as user NAS-User (uid=98, gid=98) (pid 268)

the tv1 system is running a slideshow screensaver - which grabs images from my NASLite box with a mapped drive. It changes photos every 30 seconds. Other use on the NASLite box is limited to copying of a few media files every couple of days and as a backup to one of our office notebook computers on a daily basis.

Any suggestions on this? I can't switch to NasLite+ because this system won't allow for CD booting and has no other boot capabilities other than FDD or HDD. I'm going to disable the TV1 system slideshow and see what happens, but if _all_ NASLite access is logging and filling memory, its just not going to be a good thing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:06 pm 

FWIW, I realize NASLite creates a RAM disk for the HTML pages and this is independent of the memory the OS is using - which _hopefully_ will remain stable. THe RAM disk is filling - and as sys admin, I check on the NAS box - daily at present - to ensure things are running smoothly - the HTML status pages are a good indicator of things working/not working as they should.

This is from my system HTML (memory section)
Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        46712        45444         1268            0          860

This is from my system HTML (storage section)
Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use%      Device
System                    3.9M      2.4M      1.5M  61%      RAM Disk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Your RAM usage is normal. NASLite allocates all available RAM to the running services as well as buffers. The reason the stats fail to generate is in fact lack of RAM. The behavior however is such by design. When there are large log files that need to be processed for the info pages, some RAM is necessary, and if RAM is not available due to current server activity or buffer allocation, the low-priority info pages generator is killed to preserve system stability.

As RAM becomes available due to server inactivity, the info pages will be regenerated during the next cycle.

If the server is online and it’s content can be accessed, then the system is operating normally within the limitations of your hardware. If you find it necessary, you can resolve the Info pages issue by adding more RAM.