NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:24 pm 

Hello,

Is it possible to use NAS Lite FTP behind a router. I followed the instructions that D-Link (using a DI-604 router) provided and had someone outside the network try to ftp via web browser to the machine without any success. Error is cannot connect.

I set up the NAS Lite FTP with an ip of 192.168.0.106 (which is within the ip range on my router) then setup the virtual server (on the router) to open ports 20 & 21 for the NAS Lite FTP.

After doing this I provided a friend with the WAN ip address to try and ftp to the NAS Lite machine and he got the error could not connect. Supposedly, by setting up the virtual server it maps the internal ip address to the WAN ip address. But it doesn't work.

Any ideas or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:19 pm 

I really have no idea how to solve your problem, but might want to talk a look at the server logs they might be able to help. Please let us know if you solve this, would be curious about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:29 am 

ftp can be trickier than most to port forward as it uses one port for control and another for payload.

However most firewalls have the ability to set PASV for ftp.

I recommend you start of by opening all ports to your friends IP to confirm it works.

If it does consult your manual on how to deal with ftp servers for your specific firewall/router.

However there is almost certainly no Naslite specfics here i.e. its a problem with your firewall settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

NASLite does not allow for the setting of a default gateway, therefore any routing attempts will fail. Since there is no access security, we felt it is necessary to keep access restricted to the local network only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:54 pm 

that would explain it.

sorry for guiding you in the incorrect direction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:10 pm 

SO I am guessing only way to do what the person wanted was map the drives to another pc then run the ftp server there?

obviously not as ideal, but still better than nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:50 pm 

pretty much yes. Since their is no DG the problem is a network routing issue and not a SMB issue.

You could use a ancient PC of just about any spec as long as it supported mount -t smbfs.

Alternatively you may be able to do something with NAT on you firewall to change both the source and destination IP address. This could be quite tricky and may not be available on your firewall/router unless it is fairly high end.

e.g. the problem is that with no DG NASLite does not know how to route to any IP address that is not on your local subnet. If you could trick it into thinking the ftp request came from your firewall it would be able to talk.

But you would need to seriusly ponder the security implications of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 pm 

Thanks All for the replies.
I thought that it had something to do with the security of NAS Lite. Since it worked within the local net but not via the internet. I had tried access via the browser and with a ftp client configured as passive with the same results. So I figured that the problem as such.

Thanks again to all who replied.