NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 pm 

Could someone please direct me to some info.
I have a Naslite v1.x server with 4, 500 gig storage drives. I set up Devil-Linux v1.4 on a somewhat older box. I am connected to it on my home network. Installed on the Devil-Linux box, are 2 network cards. eth0 is connected to my internet (2wire is the brand name) box, and allows for network security, i.e. firewall. The eth1, I have connected to the Naslite box. I have tried for about 2 weeks to get the settings so that I can access my Naslite box through the Devil-Linux box. it looks like this <<<<<< From DSL Modem (2Wire Model name)then to >>>>>>>
>>>>Devil-Linux Box eth0
<<<<<<Then from Devil Linux Box eth1 >>> To NASLite Box eth0
I can connect to each of them idependantly through my DSL router. But haven't been able to connect to the NASLite if it is plugged into the Devil-Linux box as discribed above.

Now comes my question. Is it possible to put Naslite behind this Devil-Linux box at all? I believe it may be some kind of routing problem, but I do think it is possible. As a last (kinda) resort, I am posting for some guidance. I have search many forums, and documents, such as http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm I am missing something. This is just something I am messing around with, but I will not let it kick my butt. So any guide to links or suggestions would be VERY appreciated.

This type of setup could come in handy for some and I will post here, and all the other forums I have looked at for help, the instructions and solutions to help them make their own. What am I using it for you may ask? Well a small school where I volunteer as a noon aid twice a week, was looking for a way to have a network at a low cost, so I said I would try to help. And the reason I don't just use Devil-Linux as the only server is that they want 2 separate networks if possible, and this was the cheapest solution I have found so far. I am not getting paid for this, using some of their old equipment, and they have very little money.

Thank You for your time

Patrick in Michigan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

What exactly is your goal?