NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:24 am 

Problem: under Linux, Mandrake 10.1; I cannot add files or create folders to the Disks-1 or Disk-2 the message returned is only root can modify folders. However, under WinXP with SCP 2 both disks can be updated no problem.

Also, nether chown and chmod are successful (under SU) to change ownership of permissions of Disk-1 or Disk-2. I am stumped big time.

PS. NASLITE is a dream,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:34 pm 

Did you ever find a solution for this. I am experiencing the exact same thing with ALL my Linux desktops. windows desktops connect and modify all files and folders just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:25 pm 

patrickva wrote:

Yes I did I am here is the posting from the mandrake fourms -- patrickva

However, Mandrake places Icons of these two drives (/mnt/disk-1 and disk-2) on my desktop. I am not allowed access to them because the system sees them as root and Patrick (user) does not have permission. do not have permissions only root has permission to access these drives.

You need to change the uid,gid, dmask and fmask used ... go back to MCC, select the share, click options->advanced, and in the "Various" field add something like:

uid=joe, gid=joe

If you want to tighten up the permissions, you may want to set the fmask (permissions mask for files) and the dmask (permissions mask for directories), do the same, but add something like:

dmask=700, fmask=600

Quote:

And what is interesting is when I SU to /mnt/ and attemp to chown I am told that the operation is not allowed.

That is expected ... since SMBFS doesn't have an understanding of file ownership. What should happen on the remote side when you try and change the local permissions? No, instead, you must define what happens with the permissions when you mount it.

Quote:

My goal is to be able to click on the drive icons and access the files. Any suggestions?

I normally suggest using a tool as a normal user to mount shares, like smbmount, LinNeighborhood, smb4k etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:44 pm 

Sorry Freedog that last response was pretty mindless! Here is a link to the posting I made at the Mandrake Forums it should provide you with a lot more information. I followed the instructions and they worked for me. Getting the permission right drove me nuts. WIndows worked just fine right from start up.... Currently I am running Fedora Core 3 and having no issues.

http://forum.mandrakeclub.com/viewtopic ... highlight=

Hope this helps....