NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:21 am 

Two problems:

1. I was using NASlite-SMB on a box with one hard disk quite successfully. Next I installed another HDD along with an IDE RAID controller (RocketRAID 100 from HighPoint). I configured a RAID 1 system and copied the data from disk 1 to disk 2 (using their BIOS utilities). When the system booted, NASlite did not recognize any HDDs - none. Any suggestions as to why?

2. Just to get back to a working system, I disconnected HDD #1 from the RAID controller and plugged it into the board's IDE controller, and the system recognized it, however NASlite didn't. In particular, it responded with

Disk-1 - Found partition

NAS_Disk-1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
Disk-1: Attempting to fix filesystem

NAS_Disk-1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
Disk-1 - Filesystem is not mountable
Disk-2 - Not Available
Disk-3 - Not Available
Disk-4 - Not Available

Similar messages appear when I plug HDD #2 into the motherboard's other IDE controler.

Without a Linux system handy, how can I run fsck? Would this be a good candidate to put on the Floppy Image Bootable CD-ROM newly made available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi sudleyplace,

NASLite does not support RAID controllers of any kind, so what you are attempting to do will not work. The manual, as well as the forum is rather clear on that.

Now, as far as your data goes, using your RAID BIOS utilities obviously has changed the contents of the drive from the original. I’m not sure what the changes are, but NASLite will not mount unless the filesystem is healthy, so you will have to do some manual recovery.

I would suggest using Knoppix simply from a convenience standpoint. It’s a hefty download, but worth the time ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:25 pm 

[quote="Tony"]
NASLite does not support RAID controllers of any kind, so what you are attempting to do will not work. The manual, as well as the forum is rather clear on that.
[/quote]

As far as the manual being "rather clear" on this point, I suggest that you mention the word RAID in it at least once, presumably in a negative context.

As far as the forum being "rather clear" on this point, I did find one message asking about RAID support, but there were no replies, so I couldn't tell from that whether or not it was supported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:58 pm 

Tony wrote:
Hi sudleyplace,

Now, as far as your data goes, using your RAID BIOS utilities obviously has changed the contents of the drive from the original. I’m not sure what the changes are, but NASLite will not mount unless the filesystem is healthy, so you will have to do some manual recovery.

I would suggest using Knoppix simply from a convenience standpoint. It’s a hefty download, but worth the time ;-)

Would NASlite+ support some of the stand alone Raid 1 mirror hardware modules like duplidisk3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:36 am 
Site Admin

As previously stated, NASLite does not support RAID controllers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:23 pm 

Tony wrote:
As previously stated, NASLite does not support RAID controllers.

Duplidisk3 is driverless. slotless, and OS independent. Your NAS would "see" only a single IDE drive (but it would in fact have been mirrored by the duplidisk hardware). Only a single drive cable connects to the PC.

http://www.duplidisk.com/disk_noslot.php

Sorry, I just don't see how it wouldn't work.

I'm in the process of retasking our Rebyte NAS (Linux with JFS & software raid) http://www.rebyte.com into a simpler secure Apache server (didn't like it's power consumption or it's glitches). Our RAID storage will soon be handled by windows + a recently purchased duplidisk3 (don't know if I'll stay there - but it must be tried).

If you'd like, I'd be happy to try a limited time demo version of your software with this RAID 1 setup before "I put it to bed" within Windows. At least you would know.

I use Epia mini-ITX motherboards for all my server prodjects.