NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:33 pm 

Here is a guide for using NASLite-NFS with Windows clients. This guide assumes you do not have other UNIX/Linux servers and simply want to integrate NASLite NFS into your existing windows network.

My primary motivation for switching to NFS is to avoid the 4gig file size limit in the SMB version. I plan to store DVD image files, and they run between 4.3 and 8.5 gig. The process wasn't as straightforward as I had hoped, so I thought others might benefit from a walkthrough of the configuration process.

We'll start by creating a local UNIX account database, containing the anonymous user & group accounts needed to access NASLite NFS. Then we'll install the windows NFS client, directing it to use our little unix account database. Next we'll map our windows user account to the anonymous UNIX user account, and finally browse the NFS network from our windows box.

I. Creating local passwd and group files
Create a folder called etc in the root of C. This will contain the password and group files the NFS client will use to access the NFS shares.

In C:\etc, create a text file called passwd.txt, containing the following line:
user:!:-2:-2:::

In C:\etc, create a text file called group.txt, containing the following line:
anonymous:!:-2:user

In the unix world, these files would not have the .txt extension, but for our purposes it doesn't matter.

II. Installing the NFS client
First, download SFU 3.5 (Windows Services for Unix) from microsoft. You'll need to login with a passport account to access this download.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

The download is a self extracting Zip. Extract it to a known path, like C:\SFUSetup, then run Setup.exe from that location.

During setup, select Custom Installation.

On the Selecting Components page of the setup wizard, disable everything except the NFS client.

On the User Name Mapping page of the setup wizard, select "Local User Name Mapping Server", and "Password and group files"

On the next page, enter the paths to your user and group files created in part I.
C:\etc\passwd.txt
C:\etc\group.txt

Follow the bouncing ball through the rest of the setup wizard.

III. Mapping your Windows user account to the anonymous UNIX user account
Open the Service for Unix Administration console, from the start menu.

Select User Name Mapping

Click Maps

Click Show User Maps
If you are on a windows Domain, select the domain name. Otherwise, leave it set to your local computer name.

Click the List Windows User button, and the List UNIX Users button

Select your windows user account from the windows users list

Select "user" from the UNIX users list

Click Add

Now scroll up and select Show Group Maps

Click List Windows Groups, and click List Unix Groups
If you are on a windows Domain, select the domain name. Otherwise, leave it set to your local computer name.

Select "Users" from the Windows Groups list, and select "anonymous" from the UNIX groups list
Note: if you are on a windows Domain, select "Domain Users"

Click Add

Click Apply

Close the Services for UNIX Administration console

IV. Browsing the NFS network
Open My Network Places
Open Entire Network
Open NFS Network
Open Default LAN
You should see your NASLite NFS computer, and you should be able to access its shares and map network drives.

Post subject: Doesn't Show Drives
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:08 pm 

Hi Lusid,

I followed your instructions and I can see the Default Lan Link, But When i open it no Drives or Computers Show Up. Any Ideas Why? Do I have to have a set workgroup , Or do I have to use DHCP for the IP, I currently use a home workgroup name and a static IP. I set them in the NASLite Interface and I can telnet to it and See the info in the HTTP page, But cannot map or see them in My Network Places.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:05 am 

Are you using the NFS version of NASLite? The SMB version doesn't export NFS shares. Needs to be either the NFS version or Naslite+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:42 pm 

I am using the NFS version of NasLite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:48 am 

I saw that happen once, when I tried to browse before I had configured the drives on the server. The server was online, I just couldn't see it. It went away after a couple of reboots, not sure why. SFU still seems a little tempermental.

You can try adding an NFS lan. Right click on the NFS Network object in Entire Network. Fill in the form and give it a name other than "Default LAN". Hopefully it will search your subnet for NFS hosts and find your NAS box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:58 pm 

I've performed all the above and I can see the NASLite NFS box fine in the Entire Network/Default LAN (I can also use the NASLite webserver to see the files, so no problem at that end).

However, when I navigate to one of the drives (\export\Disk-1), I get the following error message. Anyone with any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've tried on 3 different clients with the same result.

\\(IP address)\export\Disk-1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the server administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.

The Netwok path was not found.

OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:50 pm 

cpaumelle

Quote:
However, when I navigate to one of the drives (\export\Disk-1), I get the following error message. Anyone with any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've tried on 3 different clients with the same result.

Try mapping the drive using the Map Network Drive under the Tools menu in the My Computer dialog. That worked for me.

Post subject: Re: Doesn't Show Drives
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:22 am 

Deuce199 wrote:
Hi Lusid,

I followed your instructions and I can see the Default Lan Link, But When i open it no Drives or Computers Show Up. Any Ideas Why? Do I have to have a set workgroup , Or do I have to use DHCP for the IP, I currently use a home workgroup name and a static IP. I set them in the NASLite Interface and I can telnet to it and See the info in the HTTP page, But cannot map or see them in My Network Places.

Thanks

I've had exactly the same problem, I'm using NASlite+ and can see the default LAN but when I double click it the window is empty, if I try to map a drive letter to it I can only get as far as selecting default LAN and then the wizard won't allow me to go any further the "ok" button is greyed out. I am using a Netgear router but have allowed NFS in the firewall settings what is the default port for windows NFS? Maybe I have configured the wrong one :? Any help would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:51 am 

Wilbur,

We seem to have concurrent conversations going in two threads related to the same topic.:D I responded to your NFS issue in the "Inconsistent Performance..." thread.
I'll post it here but I suggest that this be the thread we continue until your problems are resolved (or we give up :cry: ) since the topic is more appropriate. Sound Good?

Other post:
Quote:
Wilbur,

Not sure what is causing your problem but I do know that I have one piece of information set in another file that wasn't mentioned in lusid's post on how to get NFS working (excellent post ). The file is the hosts file located in the directory:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

I have the following entry in there:

192.168.XXX.XXX "My NASLite System Name"

This is the name ("My NASLite System Name") that appears under Default LAN. Not sure if it's required but that is the only difference that I can tell.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:03 am 

Sanmaster
Yes sorry about the confusion with the two threads :oops: being one of those days, need more coffee :lol:

I'll check the hosts file in the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc directory later and post if I find anything. I'm assuming your from the other side of the pond, I'm in the UK so you might not see thread until tomorrow. Thanks for help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:14 am 

Wilbur,
Quote:
Sanmaster
Yes sorry about the confusion with the two threads being one of those days, need more coffee

No problem. Been there myself. :D

Yes, I am on the other side of the pond and I am aware of the difficulties with timezones, work, etc. I know that you will get this working. It's only a matter if time. Most of this stuff is straight forward and I'm sure you followed lusid's instructions to a tee. It's those little "gotchas" that keep getting in the way. Maybe my recommendation about the Windows hosts file is the "missing piece" to the puzzle.

I was fortunate enough to have an entry in that file already when I tried the NASLite+ NFS version. I created it from a previous experiment. I know that it is looked at because the name attached to the static IP I had was for the old Linksys NSLU2 device I was using for my NAS until it went south. I wanted the name that showed up under Defalut LAN to be that of my NASLite box so I changed it in the Windows hosts file and, after a reboot, that is the name that shows up under Default LAN. I should try deleting the entry to see if NFS works but as they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:25 pm 

Wilbur,

When I got home tonight I commented out the server in my Windows hosts file and I rebooted. I was still able to use my MFS drives once the system came back up. I also clicked on Default LAN and although it took some time to come up, I did see my NAS box there.

Sorry, I thought that might be the solution but it looks like it's not. Please keep me informed of your progress and if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:49 am 

sanmaster wrote:
Wilbur,

When I got home tonight I commented out the server in my Windows hosts file and I rebooted. I was still able to use my MFS drives once the system came back up. I also clicked on Default LAN and although it took some time to come up, I did see my NAS box there.

Sorry, I thought that might be the solution but it looks like it's not. Please keep me informed of your progress and if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

With commitments to other things this week I'm not going to have chance to have a real crack at this but one thing I have been doing is opening the Default LAN window, the window is empty so I have immediatley closed it, I may open it up tonight and leave it for a few minutes to see if the NASlite appears.
The FTP idea didn't work again, transferred 536mb :? and then closed. Hopefully towards the weekend I'll have a clear evening to sit down and really try to get one or the other working satisfactorily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:47 am 

Have some sort of connection set up in NFS now, managed to configure the favourite Lan to show me the NASlite, it also shows up as Default Lan if I try to map the drive, only I can't map the drive :( . Anyway I tried to copy one of my High Def movies across using NFS and I get a write protected error :x

If I browse to my new found folder under the Windows networks/NFS route I can see the whole 9GB High Def movie. But when I try to view or play the movie under normal explorer routes it shows up as a file of about 600mb.

I know NASlite can't handle the transfer of files over 4 GB under SMB but does that mean it can't see the whole file using Windows explorer?

If I try to play the movie in the usual explorer manner it plays very smoothly be it only 600mb of it :lol: If I try to play it by browsing the NFS route it stutters and stops :?

I can cope with the basic side of networking but this advanced stuff is putting me a little out of my depth :oops: so I may have missed something simple like changing a setting etc, any ideas?

Other than that Tony if you could make vers 2 capable of handling large files through SMB that would be sooo much easier :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:08 pm 

Wibur,

I think we're doing it again. Same info, different posts. I already answered your file sizes question in your other post.
Quote:
If I try to play the movie in the usual explorer manner it plays very smoothly be it only 600mb of it If I try to play it by browsing the NFS route it stutters and stops

Not sure what's causing this. Other posters say they can stream fine from SMB/NFS so it may depend on what they're using to view the files.

Maybe Tony has a better answer :D