NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Other than that Tony if you could make vers 2 capable of handling large files through SMB that would be sooo much easier

We are close. V2 will most definately take care of the 4G issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:39 pm 

Tony,

Just a quickie regarding NASLite+ for USB v2.X. Will I be able to download the OS on the USB (as before) on a system other than my NAS box and then cofigure it independently when I plug in the USB drive? Also, will I be able to create the journal file at that time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:49 pm 

I've installed SFU but I'm having problems setting it up.
I have created a NFSLite NFS diskette and configured the IP to 192.168.1.5
Installed SFU on a winXPpro
Created group.txt and passwd.txt
When I'm in Service for UNIX Administration under MAPS for Unix users all I have is:
<unmapped>
user
which is not what this thread shows.
What do I do now?

When I try to connect to 192.168.1.5 from my XPpro PC I see a message on the NASlite box saying unauthorized access and it reboots my XP PC.

My work around this was to create NFSLite FTP but I'm no longer able to create any diskettes. I'm using DCOPY utility under dos mode on a win98 PC.
I've tried 4 floppy drives (all I have) and numerous disk. Writing track 0, head 0 Write error!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:06 pm 

94cruiser,

Assuming you followed lusid's intructions to a tee, you now need to map a drive on your system via the "My Computer"->Tool menu. Next, click on "Map Network Drive" and then click on "Browse". Traverse/click the following tree:

"NFS Network"->"Default LAN"->Your NASLite box

Under that should be the appropriate disk drive(s) defined. Pick the drive you want and it will show up as a networked drive just like an SMB drive.

Something that should be stated is NFS drives get mapped the same way SMB drives get mapped. The one noticible difference is you need to install SFU on your windows system. SMB is already included in the WIndows OS so there's nothing to install.

After following lusid's excellent guide there is no known reason why someone shouldn't be able to map NFS drives just as easily as SMB drives.

Post subject: Permissions within NFS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:04 pm 

I followed the directions you gave above and I have NFS up and working properly, I think.

I can access (read) the shares through MyNetwork, defaut.

I have one problem however. For some reason all folders on my export do not have Write enabled in the "NFS Atribute". Is there a way to enable write for all directories and their sub directories at one time. I can enable Write function one directory at a time. It will take me a year to do it and make sure I did all of them. (Write is not enabled for any user, Owner groups or other)

Also I have gone into the "Services for Unix" administrator and enabled file permision for R W and X. I am assuming this, as it does mention, will enable all subsequent files saved to the hard drive with all three, RWX, enabled is this correct?

Is there a way to enable Read, Write for the entire share, without having to do it one folder at a time?

Thank you in advance.

Pierre