NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:23 pm 

I am placing pictures on my SMB server and when i try to rotate the pictures using the microsft built in viewer, it states that the pictures are read-only and cannot be changed. If I copy them to my hard drive (Desktop) I can do what ever i want to them, (nothing changed in the file permissions). I can change and save any other kind of file, only pictures do I have a problems with.

Any Ideas Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:47 pm 

I came across this old post whilst searching the forums as I'm experiencing exactly the same issue with the following configuration:

Windows XP Pro in a workgroup named "HOME"
Naslite-SMB in a workgroup named "HOME"
JPG images saved on Disk-1

If I browse Disk-1 (actually it doesn't matter which disk it is) using Windows Explorer on my Windows XP Pro machine and find an image I want to rotate (using the thumm view) - right click and select "rotate clockwise", you can see it create the temporary file, but when it tries to update the original you get the error "You cannot rotate this image. The file might be in use or open in another program, or the file or folder might be read-only."

The same happens if you open the image in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and try the same rotation.

The image isn't already open, I've tried disabling my Antivirus software, indexing software and Antispyware software to ensure that nothing has the file open.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me - even if it's only to say that yours works/doesn't work?

Thanks for all of your help

Sweevo

Update: Just tried the same thing from a Windows 2003 Server which was joined to the same workgroup and exactly the same problem occurred which hopefully rules out any system problems on my Windows XP machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:01 pm 

In your example
Workgroup is Home

Nas computer name is Naslitesmb

So you browse to your Nasliesmb PC:
Say you have 2 hard drives.
It would read:
Disk-1
Disk-2
Disks
Info

In this situation disk-1, disk-2 have Read/Write capabilities
If you brose disks thenyou will see:
disk-1
disk-2
These 2 folders only have read capabailities and this sounds what you are browsing is this folder.

Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:04 am 

Hi Chad

Thanks for your quick reply.

I'm using the UNC (using your example) \\naslitesmb\disk-1\photos\

In this folder I'm able to create, delete or modify any files - the only thing that doesn't seem to work is rotating pictures.

I thought that it was \\naslitesmb\disks\disk-x which were the read only drives (unless I've mis-read your message)

I did a quick search on Google Groups for the error "You cannot rotate this image" and it finds plenty of hits - including a couple directly related to linus filesystems, unfortunately none seem to have a solution.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/linux.samba/browse_thread/thread/516f4f5875616d15/3d65fea53f4c7414?lnk=st&q=%22You+cannot+rotate+this+image%22+linux&rnum=2&hl=en#3d65fea53f4c7414

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/vmware.for-linux.general/browse_thread/thread/f1b58c200629e74b/ae42ebbd5745ea47?lnk=st&q=%22You+cannot+rotate+this+image%22+linux&rnum=1&hl=en#ae42ebbd5745ea47

Does this work/not work for anyone else here?

Thanks for all of your help

Sweevo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:56 am 
Site Admin

In the case of NASlite, samba exports a UNIX (ext2) filesystem for use as a windows NTFS filesystem. Since the actual filesystem is ext2 and not NTFS, NTFS features have to be emulated for the benefit of the client machine. Some of the obscure windows filesystem features are therefore not fully supported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:44 am 

Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply. It explains the probable cause perfectly.

If I were to purchase NASlite+ (which I plan to do in the near future anyway) would it make any difference to the level of NTFS emulation?

Also (and finally!) is there any scheduled development with regards to the NTFS emulation or do you forsee it remaining as it is?

Thanks for all of your help.

Kind regards

Sweevo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:31 pm 

Interesting because I use both Naslite and Naslite+ and I don't recall having that issue.
In fact last night I was changing some pictures on my Xp machine and remember rotating one and saving it.
Will have to look into when I get a chance.