NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:14 pm 

I have a Compaq iPAQ Legacy-free computer that I was trying to setup with NASLite-SMB. Here is a link to the product information: [url]http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?&lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=96491&submit.y=10&submit.x=3&lang=en&cc=us&y=10&x=10[/url]

NASLite loads to a point where I get a message:
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

When I press ENTER I get:
VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 02:3c
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 02:3c

The floppy disk boots fine on 2 other computers that I tried it on. Could it be that the iPAQ floppy is actually and ATAPI device? I believe it is cabled as the master on IDE channel 2. Is there any possiblity of making this computer work with NASLite or is it just not compatable with how NASLite is built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:44 pm 

Hello tpbuett:

I downloaded the 73 page iPaq user guide; a search for "floppy" was unsuccessful. Looks like this device does not originally even ship with one. And, as you suspect, whatever you have attached to IDE may be an ATAPI device. If you have a "real" floppy drive (34 pin cable), the iPaq motherboard might support that. See if you can find a socket on the motherboard for that.

If that does not work, the iPaq *might* boot from USB without a kicker floppy. So you'll have to purchase NASLite+ for USB Flash. I am very happy with that product since version 1.5. But if iPaq does *not* boot from USB and does not support floppy (to save configuration or kicker floppy) then you'll have to come up with new hardware ... many inexpensive configurations can be purchased that will work.

Before you spend $ on NASLite+ or new hardware ... there's a way to find out if the iPaq will boot from USB ... take a look at http://www.freenas.info and select the "Tools" section. There you'll find the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" mentioned. It will format a USB memory stick and make it bootable (use "DOS Startup Disk" option).

Hope this helps.

:) Georg