NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:54 am 

Hi

I have my Naslite box configured at IP 192.168.1.5, I can access it with no issues from my one Xp box copies files etc 100% no issues. When I however connect my laptop from work to the box and try to connect it comes up with a guest logon and asks me for a password. I can browse the server from my web browser ok but Icannot copy files to it. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

JohnB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Is you laptop set as a member of a domain (your work environment) or as a workgroup client? NASLite can't become a domain member.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:57 pm 

Hi Tony

It is set as a member of my domain at the office so suppose that that is what the issue is, i will try changing the settings and see if that sorts the problem out.

Thanks for the awesome product.

JohnB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:19 pm 

I just came across this product last night and so far it is great. I have come across the same sort of issue in this post. I think it may be something goofy with cached domain user credentials. I setup a naslite box here at work; I was able to log in to the NAS while logged in to the domain. When I went home last night I built another NAS box and was able to log into the NAS while logged in locally to my laptop. However, when I logged into my laptop using my domain user account I was unable to access the NAS. Today, from work I VPNed into my network at home and I was able to access the NAS from my laptop while logged in to the domain. I hope that wasn't too confusing, I plan to play around a bit more tonight to see if there is any way around it. I just wanted to pass my limited tests along in case someone had any ideas. Thanks,
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:06 am 

Ran into the same issue, evenutally traced to a failed PSU on my domain controller. But along the way I discovered that if you are logged in to windows with cached credentials, you can still connect to NASLite by specifying NAS-User as the user name when you connect.

In typical windows design, the username filed is disabled on the login prompt and it only tries to connect as "guest". So you have to use the net command from a command prompt:

Or just put something like this in a batch file:
Code:
net use \\MyNasLiteBox /USER:NAS-User
net use \\MyNasLiteBox\Disk-1 /USER:NAS-User
net use \\MyNasLiteBox\Disk-2 /USER:NAS-User
net use \\MyNasLiteBox\Disk-3 /USER:NAS-User
net use \\MyNasLiteBox\Disk-4 /USER:NAS-User
net use \\MyNasLiteBox\Disks /USER:NAS-User
net use \\MyNasLiteBox\info /USER:NAS-User

Once you've attached it should work as long as you stay logged in.