NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:08 am 

Hi all,

I downloaded the free version several months ago, and managed to get it running on an AMD K6-2 233. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to muck around with the server, before I had to move it off my desk, and it has been in a box until now.

I want to hook up the server and use it as common storage for my photos and my MP3s, so I can access these files, conveniently, from any computer in the house. I expect that if all goes well, I will look to buy the CD version and use that.

My immediate question is: when I set up the server, there was a 6 GB HDD and a CD-ROM in the box, I want to replace the HDD with a 250 GB HDD. Is there a method to do this so NASLite does not screw up when it tries to locate the 6 GB drive?

My question for the future is: assuming that I will upgrade to the CD version of NASLite, will I be able to seamlessly switch from the floppy boot without risking my data?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:41 am 

Hi,

All you have to do is install the new drive and copy the data over. you can still use your current version if you wish or you can upgrade and your data will be safe.

hth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:51 am 

Thanks for the reply, Gaiden.

I understand that I can install the 250 GB HDD in addition to the old 6 GB HDD, but what I want to do, is take out the 6 GB drive and replace it with the 250 GB drive.

My concern is that NASLite has written some config info to the flopy disk, and if I replace the hard drive, there will be a problem when I boot the server. Am I wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:05 am 

H Threshe,

All the config is saved to the floppy disk, the HD's are only formatted. So you can pull any disk out and the server will run fine.
often Naslite users have a their HD's in caddies and these are pulled now and again when rotating HD's for backups.

hth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:05 am 

I'm still a little confused, as I thought that some of the config info on the floppy would be something like 'look for a 6 GB HDD on IDE 0', but I will go ahead and swap the drives and see what happens!

Thanks for the help, Gaiden.