NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Access problem with XP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:17 am 

What a great program - I have set up a test server at work using Naslite-SMB on a P2-300 with 2x 40G hard drives which I plan to use for storing Service Manuals, Bulletins etc. Very simple and quick to get up and running.

My problem is that I am having intermittent trouble with access from XP.
we have about 10 computers on a network with an old Novell 4.? server with limited space. I can access the Naslite server with no problems from the Windows 95 & 98 PCs but our 3 XP seem very flaky and mostly can't see the Naslite server on our 'workgroup' via Network Neighbourhood. I can access the server no problem via Telnet or IE, it just doesn't seem to want to show up under the Network Neighbourhood.

I'm using an IP address of 192.168.1.254 for the Naslite server (as our ADSL router uses 192.168.1.1) with 'workgroup' as the workgroup name.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may have missed

Thanks

Followup

I now have 2 out of the 3 XP computers working. Problem was caused by installing the latest update of Zonealarm which had wiped out the Trusted Zones I had setup. :oops:

NetBeui for XP Instructions added 20 Jan 2005

Sorry this is not really on topic but I though I might add this aside which may be of help to someone in other applications. My understanding is that NASLite uses TCP/IP only and NetBEUI is not used to communicate with the NASLite Server. However as the subject of NetBEUI has been mentioned I thought I would add the following link to an excellent article from Scott's Newsletter on a 'failsafe' method of getting NetBEUI going on XP. I have been using NetBEUI for many years on various versions of Windows for P2P networking despite some of it disadvantages, but it is easier to get going in a mixed Windows 95/98/ME/2k/XP (and even 3.11 until a year or so back) environment than TCP/IP. More recently I have been gradually making the change to TCP/IP as our various computer networks get upgraded.

Anyway the article is at:

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/38.htm#tipadaweek

Last edited by grahamw on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:49 am 

Win-XP does not have the protocol netbuei utomatically installed like the earliar win9x/me.
You either have to specify the NASlite server via search for direct IP address and then map the drive, or install netbeui protocol from the windows -XP CD. The instructions and files are in the directory:/valueadd/msft/net/netbeui.

chang