NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:16 pm 

Hello, i ran across a web post mentioning Naslite, checked out your website and decided to give it a try. I instsalled NFSG via floppy (version 1.x) after reading through the forums since i'm mostly running linux boxes with various distros on them, i'll try the Samba version later on a windows box.

After installing NFSG and testing it last night i found communication via telnet working as well as HTTP using one of my linux boxes. The messages all look good as in: (from disk info using Http on my linux box)

Disk-1 filesystem mounted successfully
Disk-1 is installed and available for use.

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

So everything seems to be working until i try to mount Disk-1. I'm not that familiar with NFS so i used the command mentioned in the pdf except i used the ip of my naslite server. :
mount 192.168.1.25:/export/Disk-1/mnt/NASDrive-1 :

"can't find 192.168.1.25:/export/Disk-1/mnt/NASDrive-1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab"

I found this to be the same when i tested it across various linux distros, exact same message, so it doesn't seem to be distro specific. My Naslite server ip is in the range of my lan ip's without conflicting as per the manual. I preferred to not have the Naslite server start at boot on my linux distros, rather to use the mount commnand.

So far i've only installed Drive-1 to give Naslite a test run. Everything else went smoothly. I know there's upgrades but thought i'd start here first.

If there's something wrong in my command structure, clue me, or if there is a better form, tell me what it is, i'm new to file servers and Nfs. Or i guess, clue me about what i need to edit etc/mtab or fstab with. I scanned around the net for Mount commands in NFS but they were too general, not specific to Naslite. Bear with me, i can get things done in linux with cli when i need it but i'm not a programmer or a code genius

I used a Netgear gigabit card in the Naslite server, no problem. (a new Linksys gigabit card wasn't recognized....got the same results a while back when i built my linux IPCop router/firewall. I mention it since i saw that someone on the Naslite forum was unhappy when their new intel pro g nic didn't work)...all i can say is the Netgear gigabit card does (as well as some older cards so that issue was the same in IPcop, not specific to Naslite). Thanks and hello to Naslite..

Last edited by linwing on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:45 pm 

You need a space between your source and mount point. You may also try using -t if necessary. Also use exportfs to check what Naslite is exporting if you are not sure.

I haven't used a floppy version in a long time, but it worked without a problem when i did.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:55 pm 

H, thanks.
I tried this: mount 192.168.1.30:/export/Disk-1/mnt/NASDrive-1
same error message

As far as i can see i'm using the same spacing and structure as in the pdf. If anyone can give me a better command to try using my same ip as in above, i'll try it. It would help to show the exact command line you used that worked or you think it would.

Wait a sec, i also tried it with the -t and didn't get the error message, let me see what's up.

Last edited by linwing on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:58 pm 

mount 192.168.1.30:/export/Disk-1 /mnt/NASDrive-1

Space after the source, before the mount point!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:12 pm 

When i said wait a sec, i'd just tried using the -t as you suggested as in using my same command except with the -t:
mount -t 192.168.1.30:/export/Disk-1/mnt/NASDrive-1

It worked. No errors, mounted NASDrive-1 and I just tried copying a file back 'n forth between my linux distro and Naslite Drive-1 and it worked.

I'll look again at what you said about spacing before the mount point, looking at it i see what you mean, and try also that but the -t seemed to do it. Last night i did man 8 and looked over the mount command options but just wasn't familiar enough such that those i did try didn't work.

Thanks much dimension for the timely answer.