NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ghosting drives
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:36 am 

There are many backup solutions available amd many methods. So here is one more.
Operating System backup done with ghosting to NASlite provides a real time saver, especially in a network environment. g4u is distributed under the standard BSD license.
Check this site out, g4u .......floppy bootup or iso CD.

http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/g4u/

chang

Post subject: Re: ghosting drives
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:17 pm 

Has anyone tried this?

I attempted to use it and was unable to connect. What is the proper format of the ftp.server. I know you cannot simply use naslite since you have to define which disk to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:53 pm 

[quote="kwk2"]Has anyone tried this?

I attempted to use it and was unable to connect. What is the proper format of the ftp.server. I know you cannot simply use naslite since you have to define which disk to use.[/quote]

I have tried g4u with NASLite+ and it works! You can define which disk to use simply by specifying the path in g4u.

This placed my image file in the root directory of Disk-1:

[b]uploaddisk Anonymous@192.168.0.250 Disk-1\filename.gz[/b]

You need to type "password" when g4u prompts for a password. Although NASLite likes empty passwords, g4u does not.

With g4u's default compression, a clone of a 2.6Gb disk produced an image file of 1.63Gb. I had only a 10-BASE-T NIC in the client machine and achieved an overall transfer rate of 192 Kb/second.

I think g4u is an excellent companion to NASLite+ because the ability to use FTP means nothing different needs to be run on the server which can carry on normal activity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:03 pm 

nasfan wrote:
I have tried g4u with NASLite+ and it works! You can define which disk to use simply by specifying the path in g4u.

This placed my image file in the root directory of Disk-1:

uploaddisk Anonymous@192.168.0.250 Disk-1\filename.gz

You need to type "password" when g4u prompts for a password. Although NASLite likes empty passwords, g4u does not.

With g4u's default compression, a clone of a 2.6Gb disk produced an image file of 1.63Gb. I had only a 10-BASE-T NIC in the client machine and achieved an overall transfer rate of 192 Kb/second.

I think g4u is an excellent companion to NASLite+ because the ability to use FTP means nothing different needs to be run on the server which can carry on normal activity.

Thanks! I finally got it to work. I figured out that it is case sensitive "Disk-2/"