NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:44 am 

I did quite a bit of research and decided on naslite over freenas for one reason "speed" Smb shares is what I'm looking for, using this to store & backup data from my LAN. What a great idea, run a NAS server on old archaic hardware thats collecting dust and all from a floppy. How much better does it get. 4 500GB drives will certainly keep data as a backup and share on my local LAN. I can stream media to xbox media center, stream music etc... All off a floppy...

Purchased the server "suite" last night, that seemed to give me the most choices. After installation (flawless, created my floppy without issue), I removed my cdrom drive and installed the last 500gb drive. While partition creation was painstakingly slow, it did finish and the web interface showed all devices as available and ready to go. Besides the partitioning, i had this done in under 20 minutes, damn thats good.

Now all shares should be ready to use with one of the following xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\Disk-1-4 or naslite\Disk-1-4. No matter what machine I try this from (windows, linux, osx) i'm prompted for a uname/passwd which I can't get past no matter how I try. I've tried mapping per the other forum users ideas, but still have nothing. I have yet to log into an SMB share, I see the machine on the network , but can't access it.

I've noticed so many people with this same issue and I struggle with the lack of response from Server_Elements. This isn't free/go figure it out software, I paid for this, I didn't however pay for this kind of headache. I worked these forums last night for 2 hours and still don't have a working machine.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I want to use this, I don't want a refund, I think the price is fair and would certainly get my use out it. Someone, anyone help me expunge this headache...

Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Hello Pat,

You purchased the software last night. For that I sincerely thank you. Your statement about struggling with lack of response from Server Elements is a bit puzzling so I’ll do my best to help resolve your issue.

Let’s start with the version of NASLite that you are using. Since you are booting and operating from a floppy disk, I assume that you are running NASLite-SMB or SMBG. Can you confirm that to be the case?

NASLite does not have any facilities to restrict access via name and password, so the problem is likely configuration. Let’s start with what version of NASLite you are using.

Some things to verify:

- IP is properly set.
- Netmask is the same as clients on the LAN.
- Workgroup is the same as clients on the LAN.

The user/pass issue on your MAC is a problem with OSX. That is well documented and has been thoroughly covered in other posts on this forum. As far as Windows and Linux, there should be no problem connecting to your NASLite box when properly configured.

Verify the above and we’ll go from there. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:43 pm 

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I scoured these forums last night for several hours and find it strange nothing I've done cured my issues. Normally I find an easy solution and all is good. As I re-read my post I realized it may have been a bit snippy and for that I apologize, just very frustrated.

naslite-smb is currently in use
ip address = 172.16.60.47 255.255.255.0

workgroup is the same on my debian, osx, and xbox media center machines, however my M$ xp box is on a domain.

I can ping & view the web interface without issue (from every machine). The web interface is very fast. The log files don't show anything out of the ordinary either.

I made the changes on the osx machine and still cant access. I have tried mapping the share as well in windows, using \\naslite\Drive-1 etc... to no avail. I've tried using IP as well as machine name.

When connecting thru windows the username is grayed out with the following uname=172.16.60.47\User and waits for a password.

Same with OSX, but I'm able to change the uname if need be-it's not grayed out, same with Debian.

Hope this gives you something to go on...

--Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
just very frustrated...

I understand Pat, not a problem at all :wink:

It is safe to assume that the problem is the domain controller. NASLite is unable to join your domain hence out of bounds for domain members.

At a DOS prompt on your Windows machine do this:

Code:
net view \\naslitename

What do you get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

On Mac OS X,

The file /etc/nsmb.conf must exist and contain (at least) the following entry:

[default]
minauth=none

Otherwise OS X will ask for a username/password even thou naslite does not require one. OS X out of the box does not play well with anonymous shares and *requires* this change to be made, this is not a bug with NASLite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:34 pm 

I added this machine to the domain, I can see it without a problem. But I'll humor you and give it a shot when I get home. My Macbook pro has the entry you've specified still to no avail.

I did think of the domain issue and have specified not only the domain name, but a generic "workgroup" name as well with the same results.

Does anyone else have any ideas to try when I get home and give this a shot?

nothing in naslite 2 would solve this issue would it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:40 pm 

on another note I did try this with my work laptop as well (XP) which when at work is on a domain, but at home cant auth as you can imagine. I get the same result with this as well. Strange I tell you!~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hm,

Well, you can see the samba config file via the status interface. It is in no way equipped to restrict via name/pass so the problem you are seeing has got to be client related.

Do you have KDE on your Debian? If so, try connecting to NASLite via Konqueror? Use “smb://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX” to connect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:09 am 

Got home, tried everything listed and still have the same issues. Just for kicks I decided to try freenas. The install was as painless as naslite, and it worked out of the box. I regret to say I am now using freenas.

This is what I'm referring to when I say "why hasnt this been fixed" there is something with naslite causing this to happen. I would hope in the future you take look at this and fix-it.

The thing that bugs me = I paid $45 bucks for something I can't use.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:02 am 

Its obviously an incompability issue with your setup of clients and the NASLite box but loads of ppl are doing what you are trying to do without any problems whatsoever (myself included). I'd try booting with knoppix or some other Live CD OS to try and see if you can successfully connect to the NASLite from there. Are you using some sort of special version of XP? Home or Pro? Turned off simple file sharing etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear that luv2, if you would try to understand what we are trying to say you'd understand what the problem is.

Here's a very nice technote from *Apple* describing the issue with OS X and the fix,basically the reason FreeNAS works is because it has local users and NASLite doesn't, so I'm sure you haven't edited /etc/nsmb.conf as we said, and I'm sure you're using a username/password with FreeNAS for it to work.

After making the changes in that technote, OS X will work with no problems, this is not a *bug* in NASLite as we've have said repeatedly.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301580

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 am 

There is no password issue to fix! Get your clients configured properly and your problem goes away. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:41 am 

I use Windows XP on a Windows domain. I found that when I connect to Naslite, I need to use the following in a DOS window:

Quote:
net use N: \\xxxxx\Disk-n /USER:NASUser
where

xxxxx is the servername and
Disk-n is the NASlite Disk share.

I found the above on another thread on this forum. It works for me.