NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:58 pm 

I remember when I first heard about naslite and I read posts about using certain tools that would prepare the disk in windows, I tried all manner of things and all failed. finally turing to knoppix and getting the job done that way.

I agree a new user may encounter some problems creating these disks to test out the software and would rather not part with their cash until they have tested the software. I suppose its easy when you know how, and i guess allowances have to be made in helping new users take that first step forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:20 pm 

I know I'm probably the exception here and that many/most others were able to accomplish it fairly easily. In hindsight trying VMWare first was the wrong thing to do. Ignoring that part and trying to avoid downloading 500M worth of Knoppix (which seems silly to make one floppy), I tried what I had available which, according to their web site and other forum posts, SHOULD have worked. In my case it didn't.

But it remains that for anyone to try the free version requires some extra steps and hand-waving:
- find a linux if you don't have one
- be able to download the img files in that linux
- hope all the steps work.
- if necessary, rinse, lather, repeat until it all works

I've got it working now and that's good.

- Would buying the $20 FDUCD have simplified it for me. Sure but why should I have to pay to test free software?
- Would a free CD version have simplified it for me? Definitely.
- Would a free CD version simplify it for others. Yes
- Are free CD versions a good idea for serverelements. I think so.
- Worth discussing anymore? Probably not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:36 pm 

its not really that unreasonable to expect people to be able to make a floppy in Linux to test a Linux product if you think about it.

And if you dont want to do that Server Elements offer a CD version for a few bucks.

p.s. DSL is only 50MB not 500MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:24 pm 

fat wrote:
its not really that unreasonable to expect people to be able to make a floppy in Linux to test a Linux product if you think about it.

And if you dont want to do that Server Elements offer a CD version for a few bucks.

p.s. DSL is only 50MB not 500MB

IMHO...

Expecting people who have never used linux to use linux to make a floppy that many don't even know uses linux is unreasonable. How many would even know to open a terminal/console window to type the commands?

$20 (80% of NASLite+) for a CD to make the free floppy is silly when $5 more gets you the much better NASLite+

500M refers to Knoppix, not DSL. I already had DSL in which Firefox would not download the img file. It was only after I learned of the wget command AND found an alternate download site I got DSL to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:24 am 

Server Elements is one of the few small companies (no offensive) that has managed to consistently make money from Linux products.

Peoples attitudes with Linux is pretty much always "its linux i expect it to be free" and whilst that is virtually always true it doesnt mean there is no place for a commercial product fitting a niche market.

The CD version is one of the differentiators between the free product and the commercial product. If server elements were to make a CD version of the free version it would detract from their commercial differetiator.

There is actually no reason why they need to release a free version at all.

Now i see where your coming from asking for the CD version and im sure it would be popular but just keep in mind this is not a typical Linux project and as such there will always be compromises in the free version.

Is it realy such a hardship to say "heres one for completely free, all you have to do is make a floppy. If you cant/wont make the floppy weve done the work for you and have a CD version that you can buy for a few bucks... oh and the CD version has way more features cause we can spend more time on it as were paid to do it".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:58 am 

I understand SE is a small company that is able to make money on a niche product. More power to them.

Your right, they don't have to release a free version at all. But they have chosen to do so. Why? Maybe as a form of advertising. If so, it's in their best interest to make the advertising as easy and wide-spread as possible within their financial constraints, whatever they maybe. Maybe as a way to give back to the linux community. Whatever the reason they have chosen to do so.

I'm not sure you see where I'm coming from. I'm not asking for them to give away their current CD product for free. I'm not asking for any more capabilities. Rather, 6 duplicates of the current free floppies- a free SMB CD, free SMBG CD, etc. No extra features. Just an easier way to get what they already offer for free.

It should, I think, take minimal effort to accomplish: changes (if any) to boot from CD instead of floppy; modify pointers (if necessary) to the config info on floppy; build ISO image; add link to web site.

Could they include extra capabilities on CD? Sure but that then infringes on their pay products so I'm not asking for that.

Another possibility is a set of 6 CDs (one for SMB, One for SMBG, etc). Each makes exactly 1 floppy per boot of the CD. Derived from the utility CD. Easy to use to make a single floppy but a real pain to make more than one. Probably more effort than my other suggestion and a bit more likely to steal some utility CD sales.

Maybe I'm cheap or showing my age but $20 for the floppy utility CD is more than a "few bucks". Especially since for $5 more I can get the full NASLite+ product. Five dollars or less to make a single floppy would be more like it IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hello azjerry,

I have to admit that you have made a very convincing argument about the function and cost of the FDU. As a result, we have decided to reduce the cost of NASLite-FDU from $19.95 to $4.95.

That change also affects the v1 Server Suite, so its price is reduced accordingly.

Happy Holidays ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:53 pm 

Good job you charged for it otherwise you might have to call it Free nas.

only kidding guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:26 pm 

gaiden wrote:
Good job you charged for it otherwise you might have to call it Free nas.

only kidding guys...

It will still be missing the broken gui! :P