NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirroring Drives
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:54 pm 

I'm new to Naslite - great product - love my new NAS. I've seen a few comments on the Forum about mirroring drives and backing up. The software I use may have been mentioned in the Forum before, but I did not see it, so here it is: I use Folder Clone. See http://www.folderclone.com This is a great little program that will mirror your drives. I find it works great with Naslite. I use Folder Clone to mirror my main hard drive data to my NAS and then to mirror it again to a second, removable drive on my NAS. Now I have all the protection I need, including protection against data loss due to power failures or blips. If for some reason someone knows of problems using Folder Clone with Naslite, please accept my apologies in advance. It works for me. Its much simpler than RAID. Try the 30 day free trial. You'll need to be running Windows from the machine where Folder Clone is installed.

Len

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:50 am 

That is not mirroring - that is a timed synchronisation.

Mirroring, also known as RAID1, writes to both disks in real time rather than writing to one disk now, and then synchronising one or more disks to that first one at time intervals.

One of the major differences is that if your "first" disk fails after data has been written to it, but before your next timed synchronisation has occured, that data will be lost - with mirrored disks this does not happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:59 pm 

Fordem - thanks for the education. I'm new to a lot of the backup stuff. I'll take a look at RAID 1. Thanks.
Len