NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Need for Speed
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:19 pm 

New NAS with Naslite is working great - and it is much faster than I thought it would be. However, I'd still like to increase the speed. I'm running a 533 mhz Celeron with 256 mb 100 mhz ram on a mobo with 66mhz bus speed. I also have another mobo - 1000mhz Duron, 100 mhz bus speed. I can use the same 256 mb 100 mhz ram with this mobo. Is it worth my trouble to swap out the mother boards? Will I gain much speed by doing this? Also, I'll be upgrading to Naslite-2 soon, as I assume that will help as well. Is this correct? Drives are ATA-133. Will installing an ATA-133 controller card help the speed? Thanks.
Len

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:28 am 

What sort of numbers are you getting atm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:38 am 

Superboss - thanks for your reply. I'm new to all this, so I don't know about the numbers or what is atm. Is there an easy way I can find the info you need? Or, if this is too much to explain in the forum, your best guess as to whether the upgrade is worth it if fine for me. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 am 

Well if you are reaching transfer speeds close to 10MB/s there is no use upgrading the motherboard as the 100Mbit network will limit your transfers anyway (unless you plan on upgrading the motherboard AND the network infrastructure). There are several ways to benchmark your transfer speeds, search for "diskwiggler" on the forums..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:07 am 

You can use a program called diskwriggler to get speed info. Search the forum for how to use it. Typical speeds would be 6-10MB/sec.

NASLite 1.x only sees on board controllers, so adding a controller card won't work. When you upgrade to 2.x you can use the add in controller.

You didn't mention what ethernet speed you are using. Upgrading your network to Gigabit ethernet can increase the transfer rates, but usually the ATA interface is the limiting factor. If the ATA speed on both motherboards is the same then you probably won't see much of an increase. NASLite doesn't gain much from going to a faster processor. Your 533MHz and 256 MB ram should be fine.

Upgrading to NASLite 2 and using your ATA 133 controller will provide the most speed increase if your motherboards aren't already ATA-133 speeds. Then the limit will be how fast your drives can get data and your network speed. 100mb ethernet will still limit you to around 10-12MB/sec transfers. With Gigabit ethernet you will get whatever your disk can keep up with :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:19 am 

Thanks to both for the responses. I'm using a 100mbit network. I'll try the software you suggested to check out the speed. A gigabit network may be in my near term future, along with Naslite-2. Thanks!
Len