NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup system
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:55 am 

I have just set up a NASLite FTP as a backup in my Small Business network.

The box is configured this way:
- The cabinet holds 4 5 1/4" diskbays which are mounted with removeable disktrays.
- I got 10 pcs. of 120 GB Maxtor disks fitted into drawers that fits into the disktrays.
- Each drawer is numbered 1E-5E, and 1U-5U (Even/Uneven weeks).
- Monday to Thursday is loaded Monday morning and the backupsoftware (which can store to a FTP location) is setup to do an incremental backup.
- Friday morning the 5th disk is loaded to do a full backup during the weekend, and Mon-Thu disks are brought home into the safe, replaced by a new set next Monday morning.
- To handle the missing 3 disks on the weekend backup, a weekend floppy is inserted instead of the weekday floppy, and swapped again Monday morning when the new set is mounted.

I plan to set up a box at another location where the disks that are off location is mounted, so in case of an emergency, a restore can be completed remotely. Remember if setting up remote NASLite FTP boxes, to configure your firewall properly and to encrypt your backup! Create a NAT entry on the firewall to use a different port than port 21 which is the standard FTP port.

For more security, disks should be replaced each morning or the backupserver should be located at another location. Remember security!

I expect to fit the NASLite box and the server with an UPS so that the backup will progress even if power is lost during the backup window. The NASLite box consumes less than 5 Watt pr. hour, whereas the server consumes app. 300 Watt pr. hour. A 3000 VA ups should do the job.

Total cost for this setup (no UPS included) is just about $1.000 and less than 1 hour spent. Backupsoftware that back up to FTP locations can be found on Google, both as free- and shareware. Even some of the commercial packages offers this feature now.