NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:37 am 

Currently making use of the Samba system. Using it to make backups of installations, network programs (Office installs etc.), ghost recovery images and so my wife has a solid backup for our banking data.

Love the work so far, cant weait to see the future and any poossible tweaks for it!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:14 pm 

I use my NASlite box on my home network for my music and DVD collection. I am currently in the process of setting up four (4) boxes for clients who are looking for a simple and effective storage solution.

This is my first jump into the world of Linux and am looking forward to incorporating the Samba slant on my own network.

AMD K6-2 550 MHz, 784 MB RAM, 4 x 250 GB (Maxtor DiamondMax) , 3COM 905 NIC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:16 am 

Well, I just set up a NASLite-SMB box with one 80gig hard drive in it (picked up on sale at Office Depot), and have started moving music files and downloads onto it. I will probably also be storing Ghost images on it.

I have three different peecees on the LAN (running Windows XP Home, XP Pro, and Win98 respectively), and an Amiga1200. I have two other peecees ready to join the LAN but need to get a better KVM switch for them. (That is, go from a two-machine KVM switch to a 4-machine KVM switch or better.)

I aim to transfer all the downloaded files from the Windows machines, and all my MP3s, and a bunch of pictures and stuff.

The MP3s are mostly ones I have done from my own collection of CDs, though I have also downloaded a selection of MP3s from places where the ones that made the music put them up on their vanity page, and whatnot.

I'll probably add more drives to the NASLite box here, but right now the 80gigger is enough. Knock wood... :D

BTW, to that guy who said he couldn't transfer any files to the drive until he booted the drive into a Linux live-CD... I ran into a similar problem when accessing from the Amiga. I had set a program called SMBFS (from the AmiNet) to access the drive via .../disks or .../info instead of pointing it to .../disk-1 and discovered I could not SAVE files to the device, though I could transfer files FROM it. Setting it up so that the Amiga "saw" the device as what was on .../disk-1 on the other hand fixed that, and now I can read AND write to the NASLite box.

Mind you, that was with the SMB variant, and you were using the FTP variant, but I imagine it is the same here with both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:33 pm 

Hello,

I've a Pentium II 233MHz with 2 x 160 GByte and NaseLite running.

The NaseLite Server is for MP3 and picture storage. Furthermore I use the NaseLite disc space for backups.

I've three computers in a home network running and with NaseLite I can share data between all three computers.

I've used an older computer which wasn't in use any longer for build a NaseLite Server.

Thanks,

Gerald

Post subject: NASLite Box
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:39 am 

Heya, great product guys!

Converted my entire DVD collection into .mkvs, retaining subtitles and alternate audio tracks, and stored them on an old Dell Optiplex tucked away in the closet for streaming to the Xbox -- video on demand! When I get a new DVD, its a short conversion process, then theres no more risk of scratching the disc.

Concidered saving them as .iso's, but the initial 4gb limitation helped encourage me against the idea as to how much space the whole collection would end up taking!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:49 pm 

I'm running NASLite on an old P133 DELL. Work great! I've used full blown linux installs for a Samba Server, which works fine, but can be a bit much for a simple fileserver behind a home firewall. My wife's in grad school and generates a TON of files weekly. I back these up to the NAS server using a DOS bat file. I think that number of my friends will be interested, as they have old PC's that are unused and they don't do backups as religiously as they should. Thanks for a great product!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:46 pm 

I'm using my NASbox as storage for music and videos (I rip the DVDs to mpg) so the whole family has access, even from the garden with the laptop.

Another drive on the box keeps a daily backup of my main pc, a list of valuables for insurance purposes and a transfer folder for moving files around the house without allowing full workgroup access to the kids 8)

This is useful when working on "customer" pc's, where I can use the broadband connection but not allow any nasty warez into my network.

There is also a programs folder for storing original program .exe files of useful software, allowing quick computer building without searching for discs or downloading programs - if I han an update of an app (say, Opera) I download it once, put it into the programs folder, replacing the older version, and then update each pc in the house. (trying to teach the kids to do it themselves)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:42 am 

In my SOHO I use a NASLite box with 2 60GB drives to hold backups from 5 PC's and 2 Mac's, assorted vids and many MP3's, applications & utilities for both the PC & Macs. It is nice to have all our data accessible from any computer on the network. Nice job guys, saved me a bundle. Look forward to your latest developments with NASLite.

Post subject: links and scripts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:56 am 

Here's a basic summary of what I've done with my NAS-Lite box so far (basically running backups via a cron job).

http://web.ripnet.com/~rdeschen/NASLite ... erver.html

On this particular box, ext3 or reiserfs on a bootable CD would be worth paying for to be more robust -- the nice thing about the floppy of course is that I could have done my setup on even a much older PC whose BIOS didn't support bootable CD drives.

Rick D.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:50 pm 

Right now I'm NOT using it. But I am looking at it very hard.

First use I think that I will have for it will be on a 4 node Linux
Cluster that is/will be used as a game server. Save the hard
drives on the nodes for the os/cluster software.And use a nas
appliance for storage of the game software/saved games and such.

The second useage that I may have for it would be on a larger
Linux Cluster ( 9+ compute nodes and 1 control/head node ). The
purpose of this cluster would be to drive 9+ projectors/ldc screens
to form a large display array. Say 3 x 3, or aprox. 3072 x 2304 pixals+.
And use a nas appliance for the storage of the graphics/video files
and such.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:02 am 

I have two machines which need access to the same files. One of them dual boots SuSE 10.0 and WinXP, the other is SuSE 10.0 only. Previously just making files available to both OS's on my primary machine was a chore, now all my data is stored on NASLite and I only pull things onto a local drive when I need more bandwidth than my ageing half duplex hub and the ATA33 controler in the NAS can provide.

Another disk in the same NAS box provides my day-to-day backup of important data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:17 pm 

My will be used to store mostly MP3's but also clipart and backup images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:59 pm 

Just checking in to my downloads before my 180 day limit expires...

I'm using my NASLite+ box (an old 225 MHz P1 Asus-based clone) as online local (to house network - behind a hardware firewall) storage. I've got multiple licences of Norton's SystemWorks packages (c/w Ghost) and back up two laptops' hard drives regularly (and automatically - weekly). Have also saved critical CD & DVD images on it.

Hard drives in NASLite box are 2x300 GB Maxtor EIDE drives, mirrored via ARCO's DupliDisk3 - this hardware device does hardware mirroring (RAID 0), presenting a single drive to NASLite.

When bucks permit, I'll add two more drives... DupliDisk3 allows another pair of HDD's to be added, which will allow migrating my music files to the server soon...

Aside from speed limitations due to the server box itself, (some tweaking of the DupliDisk parameters was required due to the box's relatively slow bus) product works great with DupliDisk3 - an unexpected bonus.

Only major wish: ability to add a non-routable protocol (like IPX/SPX or NETBEUI) and/or disable TCP/IP (meaning admin via console only, and unit is basically invisible outside of local net...)

Keep up the good work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:55 am 

Hay Ross, just FYI. Mirroring is RAID1, RAID0 is a stripe with no parity.

2 x 300GB drives in a RAID1 config is = to one 300GB drive

2 x 300GB drives in a RAID0 config is = to one 600GB drive and also has half the reliability.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:37 pm 

I have recently just set up my NAS server and use it mainly as a backup device for my home network, and as a file server for my music, photos and library.
Its a great product that does exactly what it says and solved my backup problem (A previous solution using a more expensive system kept going off line and was very unreliable)
Thanks