NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:05 pm 

HI!
I really like this product! Is there a program or method to move files internally in the server? I have been using Windows explorer from one of my terminals and it seems that the data must be sent over the network from the source drive on the server to my computer and then back to the destination drive on the server. As you can imagine, with large ammounts of data, this can be a time and bandwidth consuming problem.

Thanks!!
John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 pm 

Hi John,

This might not help much (requires a bit of Linux knowledge) but here is what I did:

1) Attached HD's to IDE on my XP system that I wanted to transfer to/from
2) Boot my XP system with the Knoppix Live CD
3) Transfer files

Here's the issue with above:

1) Files transferred are given ownership by knoppix user and knoppix group
2) Which means that (once you put the HDs back into the NAS server) the files can be read off of the NAS server, but you can not modify / delete the files or rearrange them.

The only thing i have figured out so far was to address the issue was to install Knoppix to a partition on my XP machine and I was able to fix the above issue. I still need to work a few things out, but once I do, I will try to write a how-to. Overall, the process is not easy and I spent a lot of hours to get where I am now (newbie linux user).

Here's what I know:

I booted into my HD version of Knoppix (Debian) and examined file permissions for a couple disks to see what was going on.

NASLite has 2 ownerships:

1) root
2) 98 (this is the NAS-user)

NASLite has 2 groups:

1) root
2) 98 (this is the NAS-user group)

I created a new user 98 assigned that user a UID of 98. Knoppix then created a user group called 98 and assigned it GID 1002. I deleted the group entry it auto made and created a new group 98 and assigned it a GID of 98.

Then I went to my HDs and chown & chgrp all files except for lost+found

# chown 98 -R directoryName
# chgrp 98 -R directoryName

After doing this, all files I transfered on my Knoppix system (XP system) were then read/write/execute ready onceplaced back into my NAS server.

Not sure if that will help, but maybe someone out there can create a script or something to make the process easier. Also, based on my experimenting it looks like there is a way to create file permission setting...just not within NAS itself!! That would be a great feature to have.

++NOTE - be careful to mount drives before transfer unmount when finished changing permissions and definitely unmount and turn off machine before removing HDs..even if you have a USB hot swap!!!

john elvidge wrote:
HI!
I really like this product! Is there a program or method to move files internally in the server? I have been using Windows explorer from one of my terminals and it seems that the data must be sent over the network from the source drive on the server to my computer and then back to the destination drive on the server. As you can imagine, with large ammounts of data, this can be a time and bandwidth consuming problem.

Thanks!!
John