NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backup Question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:18 pm 

Hello All,

Been using NAS Lite for a couple weeks now and so far it has been great. I have a couple questions though...

1. Currently, I have one box with 2 drives in it. I am using Disk-1 as the primary drive and have mapped it for easier use within the office. Disk-2 is used only as a backup of Disk-1. At 12:00AM every morning, I have a script that runs and backs up all the information from Disk-1 to Disk-2. So far this works great. I am confident that if one of the drives failed, I have all the data on the other. My question is if Disk-1 fails, is the data on Disk-2 still safe or will it not be accessible because the other drive failed? In other words, does the whole system need to function or am I correct in assuming that I can swap the damaged Disk-1 to a new drive, copy the info from Disk-2 back to the new Disk-1 and be on my way. To be clear, if Disk-1 fails, is Disk-2 still available?

2. In the event of a power failure, assuming no hardware it damaged, is it possible for both drive to become corrupted? Likely?

3. At home, I have a wireless network which consists of 2 XP desktops and a XP notebook. Could I use a NAS Server with this setup? My wireless router has connections for up to 4 machines. Could I plug the NAS server into one of the available ports and have access to it from all the machines on my network?

4. I know there is no built in security with a NAS Server, but are the files stored on it accessible by a computer not on my network? I do use a WAP key on my network.

Thank you for your help. So far, this has been a great product.

Kelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:00 pm 

Hi, I'll try to answer your questions.

1. disks failing in NASLite will act the same as disks failing in Windows. If you have two disks and one fails, the other one will still have data so you can copy it to a new drive. If you remove Disk-1 and reboot NASLite it will just say NOT PRESENT or something like that in the admin screen. DISK-2 will still be accessable.

2. yes & yes. This is more of a problem due to your hardware and how cleanly it handles abrupt power removal instead of a NASLite issue. But NASLite will try to fix any corruption the next time it starts. This can take several hours for large disks. I have my NASLite system on a UPS which gives me time to shut down if the power goes out and protects me from short power glitches. Won't help you at the office if power goes out for long periods during the night though :(

3. should work, but transfers may be slower than with a wired setup and you may have issues with your XP machines "forgetting" about NASLite if there is interference and you drop the wireless connection to the NASLite box.

4. No, only by the computers on the same network.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 am 

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!