NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powermanagement
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:34 pm 

Hy together,

there was a question about Powermanagement.
Is there a way to spin down the HDDs if there is no work to do? Someone asked because of an Videoserver that runs all day long, but only a few hours to do something. Is there a chance to do so?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:57 pm 

i too would be interested in something like this. i have a box sitting in my basement running NASLite-SMB and only use it occassionally to back up photos, mp3s, and so forth. the other 23 hours a day it doesn't do a whole lot, and if it could spin down, even at the expense of taking 5 mins to "wake" up each time i needed it, would be great.

Post subject: Power
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:21 pm 

Why don't you guys just power the machines off when you don't need them? I know some people strongly believe that it's better to have a machine on 24/7 and not risk the shock of initial power-up, so maybe that's your reason.

Post subject: Re: Power
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:53 am 

Michael wrote:
Why don't you guys just power the machines off when you don't need them? I know some people strongly believe that it's better to have a machine on 24/7 and not risk the shock of initial power-up, so maybe that's your reason.

I second (or third) the request for power management.

The problem with turning the machine off is that it takes such a long time for the boot process to complete when you turn it back on. With two 120+ GB drives in my box, it takes nearly an hour for the file checks to run at startup. That's quite an incentive to keep the box running.

UPDATE: I guess the long startup is just with new disks. I had been putting disks in one at a time as I fiddled with the setup. So, for a while it appeared to take a long time to start each time I did so. This last time, however, I didn't add any new disks, rebooted, and it started right up. Still, power management would be nice to have -- along with wireless and usb support.

Last edited by Elvis on Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Power
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:09 am 

Michael wrote:

well, in my case, i have the nas box in a closet in the basement. out of sight, out of mind, and not cluttering up the rest of my place. it sits there doing its thing. to have to go downstairs and turn it on every time i wanted to update a few dozen megs worth of files would really defeat the purpose of having this thing. i'd just use the drives in my primary pc and share the folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:17 pm 

One more voice to count.
I would also like to see a spin down feature please.

Best regs

Da Tom