NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boot problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:14 pm 

Hello all,
I decided to try the product before I buy it and I am having a problem now. I configuered and ran it for a week and then when away for several days I gracefully shut it down through the interface. Now I am trying to boot and it is sitting on Disk 1 found partition message. If you press CTRL C it goes to login screen but when you type admin nas it says - cannot run /bin/nascfg permission denied.
Can somebody help?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:59 pm 

I would suspect a floppy that's corrupt. If it can't load the whole image, you may get a problem just like you're experiencing. Try to format another floppy fith the image and reboot with it.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:07 pm 

I had this fairly regular and put it down to lack of memory on my PC (32mb)
as it did it with both flopies I made and was fairly random. Managed to log in after several attempts or a reboot.
Cant confirm though until I move permanently to pc with more memory?

Post subject: The one weakness...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:34 am 

The one weakness of NASLite is it's 1.7 meg floppy size. It's hard to get a floppy to write to, as even good quality floppies are only certified for 1.44 meg. It'a also hard to get a floppy drive to properly read it, even if it was the drive that created it.

Perhaps someone could post their experiences w/ different brands of floppies and drives. Also, how about using a 2.88 diskette and formatting it to 1.72? Has anyone tried that? Or one of the Mac 1.8 floppies? Maybe they might produce better results?

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:58 am 

I had the same thing happen. However, I could hear the HDD churning away, so I knew something was happening even though it looked like it had frozen. So, I waited and after about 40 minutes it finished mounting the drive and completed booting. I'm guessing that it was doing a thorough file check, which, on my 160 GB drive, takes quite some time.

Next time that happens, just wait (for at least an hour or so) and see if it eventually finishes booting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:43 pm 

My NASLite loaded perfectly the first time, then the second time, it just sits there whirring away.

the HDD light isnt on and the router says that the server is connected, although i havent seen any information transfer signals from it.

should i reboot it?