NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:03 pm 

I have set up a server using NASliteSMB (floppy) with the intention of allowing the kids to listen to MP3 files from their networked PC. I Have used an old Pentium II with some old hard drives for the server. I set NASlite up using an 10.0.0.X IP address powered everything up and I could telnet in etc. WinXP even mapped the drives

The problems start when I tried to copy ripped CD (ripped on XP to local PC) to the sever disks the copy procedure would only partially work stopping half way through. Then things got really problematic, I connect to the internet using a router with a connexant chipset, every thing works all the PC can see each other then if I try to access the sever the router crashes and disconnects the local PC and the internet. I have to perform a hard reboot on the router to get the network back. If I use IE to the naslite box at this stage the log shows the network was lost and has been recovered. If I turn the NASlite server off no problems with the network

Not sure if this is a problem with the router set up or a hardware problem elseware. With the network crashing when the NASlite server is powered up really limits its usefulness.
Thank you for any assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:47 pm 

Are you sure the NASLite box doesn't have the same IP address as something else on your network?

If the router uses DHCP to configure your PC's, is the NASLite IP address outside of the range used by DHCP?

If you ping the NASLite box do you get 1 reply or 2?

Duplicate IP addresses could cause the problems you describe. Having your subnet mask wrong on the NASLite box or on one of the PCs could also mess things up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:42 pm 

Thank you for your advice. I had the network all on fixed IP addresses. I have reset this back to automatic IPs and set the NASlite address to outside the DHCP range of the router. I have also set the master browser in WIN XP to manaual on all the PC in the network. Currently the NASLiteserver is up and running and so far it all appears to be stable. I will leave it on to see if it remains so.

Thanks again for your advice it appears to have solved the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:27 pm 

Glad to hear you got it working.

I know from past experience that network configuration problems are a pain to figure out :?